Author Topic: Flexible handle material  (Read 1541 times)

Offline JonW

Flexible handle material
« on: December 07, 2010, 01:11:53 am »
I am looking for some ideas for a flexible handle for a BITH bow. What have some of you guys used to build up the belly a little? I was thinking leather but what type of glue will allow it to remain flexible but stay durable.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Flexible handle material
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 01:33:01 am »
I use thick shoe leather to pack out handles and to make handle risers for bendy handle bows. I rough shape the leather first, soak it well in warm water until it is flexable and glue it down with TBIII glue(any water based carpenters glue). I also use fat rubber bands to wrap it until it dries. Once dry you can do a final shaping with a rasp and sand paper. I sometimes saturate the leather with super glue if it is going to be exposed. It makes a neat looking handle.
  You can see the leather oval on the back of this handle to round it out for a better hand fit.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:12:42 am »
I do the same as Pat,leather,I usually use thinner strips and just build them up. :) Either will work just fine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 10:30:22 am »
rawhide with knox gelatine. its cheap easy and and and authentic!
Its only wood

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:52:24 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 03:06:05 pm »
If you cant get ahold of any thicker Skirting or tooling leather,i have used Cork as well.Glued it with Contact Cement.You can find Cork sheeting,at Craft Stores and at Most Hardware and Auto supply stores.

PeteDavis

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:56:04 pm »

I use EPDM pond liner material layered with super glue gel. It will not absorb water and makes a relatively stout buildup with just a tad of give. PM me if you want some.

PD