Author Topic: Stave for Christmas Exchange  (Read 12785 times)

Offline broketooth

Re: Stave for Christmas Exchange
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2010, 07:59:20 am »
ive been watching you build this bow clsely mr pat. ive been curiousabout your form that you use to heat in reflex. what you made it of, pine 2x4, spruce ,some type of hardwood like oak perhaps? ive also been curious about the elyptical shape, how did you arrive on that shape? im a carpenter , and know how to make an elipse by using a mathimatical formula. does this work for bows or is it different. or did you just eyeball it? ive also been wondering when you use oil on the limbs, do you just apply the oil on the belly side or on all sides? do you use the tin foil over the form as a sheild to keep oil from dripping on your form? just been very curious!!! ruddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2010, 10:13:13 am »
Ruddy, My forms are made from whatever scrap I have laying around. Nothing special. The one form I use to add backest to each limb at a time is actually tiger stripe maple. It was a scrap from a Showcase my friend made for me to display Native American artifacts. The shape was accidental but works very well.  ;D
  When I use oil I use it on the belly and sides only. I never try to heat the back if I can help it. All of my forms have oil in and on them. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. I sometimes use alum foil to hold in heat on difficult bending projects when extra heating is needed but not to protect the form.
  As far as the eliptical shape, I eyeball it. It is the shape that is most attractive to my eye. Math was never my strong suit!  ;D  You can see how I brought the limb bend right up to the handle. I work that portion of the limb last after the rest of the limb is bending well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2010, 02:02:22 pm »
Didn't have a chance to work on the bow for the last few days but I did this morning.  ;D   Here she is at low brace and at about 14" of draw. The string tracks pretty good so far. She is pulling about 45#(target weight)@22" heading for 24".  I have now tapered the limb tips(not final) and began heat treating the belly and inducing some backset on the kinked limb and took out a little twist too. I'll do the other limb later today after this limb cools completely. Then the shaping of the handle which will be a little difficult because of the side ways curvature. After that, final sanding then she goes to the make up room.  ;)  Not quite sure what she will wear yet but I'm sure she will be purdy!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1776J

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »
Looking good!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 08:37:20 pm »
I heat treated the other limb this afternoon and clamped it in reflex. It had already been straightened. I'll take a pic of the results tonight or tomorrow. Then give her a few days to rehydrate(Just so happens it is raining), maybe shape the handle and tips.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 11:39:34 pm »
Looking good Pat!   ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 11:57:32 pm »
She's coming along nicely, Keenan.I'll be shooting her in a few days.  8) This has been a fun one!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2010, 12:08:00 am »
This is the other limb(probably the bottom) after heat treating and reflexing. I'll let her rest a few days before stressing her.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2010, 01:40:02 am »
Real nice work so far,...  interesting to see it worked up step by step with the jig.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2010, 07:07:46 am »
  Been following this one very close. You have been making this a nice informative build. I have a real snakey floor tillered osage with some propeller twist. One day I'll get brave enough to tackle it :-\
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2010, 08:02:27 am »
Looking good Pat, You have came a long way,that should be sweet.Can't wait to see here finished up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2010, 08:46:42 am »
Looks sweet Pat.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2010, 10:20:20 am »
Thanks guys. These kind of bows will make or break you.  ;D Actually they will give you lots of confidence if they work out well.
Thanks TJ.
  Pappy, I think I'll do a "before" and "after" shot when done. Should make a cool comparison.
  Hillbilly, when you start, go slow and think about every move before you make it but also look 2 or 3 steps ahead to be sure you are on the right track.
  1776J, baby steps!... and patience helps!

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2010, 06:50:27 am »
Hillbilly, when you start, go slow and think about every move before you make it but also look 2 or 3 steps ahead to be sure you are on the right track.
  1776J, baby steps!... and patience helps!

Sounds like shooting a game of pool ;D I've been saving it till I learn a little more patients, of which my wife says I run out of to quickly ::) Maybe I should just put this one in my will for someone ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 10:33:32 am »
The stave will teach you patience if you allow it to. It will never get done if you don't do it!!!