Author Topic: Re: First Holmegaard - Now finished  (Read 11574 times)

Offline Klandaght

Re: First Holmegaard
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 07:34:39 pm »
I wish you well with this bow.  Keep us posted.
A man learns more from his mistakes than from his successes!

His wife will always acknowledge his learnedness!

Offline gstoneberg

Re: First Holmegaard - Full Draw Added
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 07:22:10 pm »
This bow has been a fight for me.  Trying to ignore those levers tillering was hard for me.  I glued on some long mesquite tip overlays for fun and got it ready for finishing today.  As always, one limb came out smooth and easy and one was a fight to the end.  All the heat bending I did to straighten it was for naught.  The deflex came back the minute I began tillering.  As usual, I ended up switching top/bottom limbs.   Seeing the full draw makes me want to take a few scrapes off the outbound part of the right limb...but I really need to call it done and get it sent.  The current specs are 65" NTN, 65#@28".  By the time I get it sanded and shoot a few arrows through it I expect it to be 60#@28".  Right now it is heavier than I like to shoot.  Hope my Christmas exchange person likes it.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline bambule

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 05:53:48 am »
Ok, the tiller looks good but the arc could be a little more roundish - try to let them bend a little more in the outer area.. This is a Möllegabet-Style Bow not a Holmegaard. The levers could be thinner  - just a touch thicker than the working limb, but that could only be done if the levers are wide enough. Otherwise they are too instabil. Set is good but could be less if the bending is more outerlimbs. You see on the anbraced pic that the set is coming dircetly from the fades - the portion on the outer limbs are stiff.

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 02:40:56 pm »
Thanks Cord, I can see what you mean.  I did see by following the thread on Holmegaard's that this looked much more like a Mollegebet.  Not surprising that given 2 possibilities I would get it wrong.  ;D  I see what you mean on the tillering.  I'll do better next time.  I can certainly reduce the thickness of the levers somewhat.  I'm going to shoot it tonight and see how much hand shock there is.  I suspect I can go narrower on the tips too.  I'm anxious to shoot it and see how it does.

Thanks again,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 11:43:30 pm »
Atta boy, Georgie!  Fearless of failure, always pursuing something new!  If that bow is heavier than you like drawing, I'll take it off your hands. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 12:19:21 am »
Thanks JW but I can't do it, gotta send it off for the Christmas exchange.  I shot it tonight, has a little hand shock so I'm going to remove some wood from those levers.  After a few shots it began to feel really good.  As usual, I don't have arrows spined right for it.  I got a little handle work done and shaped the cork rest tonight. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 08:41:10 am »
Well, I ground some depth off each of the levers and finished up the string nocks.  Need to call it done and get it in the mail so I started the finish work.  Took a couple pics of one of the limb tips.  Hope to get it sent off in the next day or two.    George

St Paul, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 10:30:24 pm »
Looks like a very cool bow.  That toasted osage looks awesome.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 01:21:26 am »
very nice. I like the holmegaard style.  I am sure that whoever recieves it will like it very much.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 08:30:05 am »
Thanks guys, but I've  messed up the finish process.  I guess I didn't degrease well enough, the oil I used for bending didn't get totally removed and now the finish won't dry. ??? :( >:(  Looks like I'll have to break out the acetone and start over (it's a poly finish). :-[

It seems the faster I want to do this...the poorer I do.  Must be one of Murphy's laws...he loves me. ::)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 10:28:54 am »
Looks Good to me.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 06:33:43 pm »
Thanks.  Murphy gave me a break on the finish.  It turned cool and the furnace had to run more which finally got the finish dry.  Today I finished it, adding the handle wrap and serving the string.  Final stats are 61#@28".  Made me shake while the wife was shooting pictures at full draw, probably feel that in the morning.  ;D

I'll box it up now and put in the mail in the morning.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline NTD

Re: First Holmegaard - Now finished
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 08:06:01 pm »
Gorgeous bow.  Hmm....haven't got my gift yet....Are you my secret santa? ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 09:35:07 pm »
Nope, this one is headed quite a ways northeast of both you and me. ;)   I don't know who has me either.  I'm glad I haven't gotten my gift yet, since I haven't sent mine.  Once its enroute I'll feel better.  And thanks, I have a lot to learn with this style of bow. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 09:37:31 pm »
Man that is a good looking bow...I bet it shoots hard.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II