Author Topic: setting up platforms??  (Read 1382 times)

Offline paulc

setting up platforms??
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:39:18 pm »
Hey all, I realize it is difficult to explain knappin via emails, but I have watched a bunch of the utube videos but I still don't really know what a platform is and how to form one.  I am sure this has been answered before but anyone want to take a crack at explaining it again...I could use the help.  And abrading...what am I abrading and why does it make a difference?  Thanks for whatever you can offer.  Paulc

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: setting up platforms??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »
A plat form is a isolated edge of you rock that is below your center line.
You abrade to remove the thin edge. this makes the plat form strong enough so the energy can travel into the rock and remove the flake.
If you don't abrad your edges will crumble when you strike them.
 You have to abrade more when knapping with copper and hammer stones then you do with antler, bone, or wood.
Mililani Hawaii

Seeker

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 08:30:16 pm »
This is my 1st post, I just found this place and hopefully I don't offend anyone without introducing myself 1st.

When you look at the side (edge) of the stone you are working you will see up and down angles. The best way I visualize this is, if you look at the opening of a clam shell it has a wavy line across where the upper and lower shell meet, these are deltas. When you abrade the stone you are making the platform or an area strong enough to handle the blow without it crushing from your billet. Your platform and be continuous or isolated. All isolating means is that on either side of your target you will shear/nibble it away just enough to be sure that if you don't hit your target perfectly you will still hit it hard enough that the energy will travel through and not get lost on the edges.

Follow this link, it has some good info.

P.S. I am by no means an expert. I came to this site to gain more knowledge on the subject myself.

http://flintknappinginfo.webstarts.com/uploads/Percussion.pdf

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:57:15 pm »
 Also, go down to the Archives and check out Shannon Walker's walk through and rock reduction.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulc

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:15:47 pm »
thanks all...along with my goal of getting a deer or hog with a bow I make(unsuccessful so far on making a bow) I also want to make the arrow including the stone head...at this point not successful :-( some day...

Mullet, it is my understanding you are the local "expert" on hog hunting with primitive gear.  I got a 160lb sow with my rifle T-day week and seeing how thick the hide and fat are, along with the strength of the shoulder blade I am wondering if chasing a large hog on the ground without firearm backup is perhaps not a good idea.  What can you tell me about hogs?  I am in GA hunting on Fort Stewart outside of S'nah.  Thanks, Paulc

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 07:58:55 pm »
 Paul,
 I'm a sorry bow shot. Most of the hogs I've killed have been on the ground, less than ten yards. I have never had a hog chase me after being shot with a well placed shot. The one I shot at Tim Beach's place when I made a head shot was about 10'.

They can not see very good, but have excellent sniffers. They also do just the opposite of a deer and feed with their nose into the wind. So, you can sneak up fairly close from behind them if you are patient.

I have never been afraid of getting close to them. If you want some excitment, find somebody with a good trail dog and a Catch dog and go in a Palmetto thicket in the dark with a flashlight and catch and tie it up. I'm not that young anymore.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?