Author Topic: DOUBLE STRING NOCK QUESTION  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Easternarcher

DOUBLE STRING NOCK QUESTION
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:16:48 pm »
Just looked at Marc's stringing method poll above and got to thinking...

When making a double nock for stringing purposes with a double loop stringer, are the grooves equal depth into the tip or is the outer groove abit less? I'm wondering if the stress on the inner groove ican be enough to split off the tip when stringing.. ???(that would be a very bad thing).
I'm assuming this is done with horn nocks or laminated hardwood tips mostly.
Since I was planning on a couple of ELB's after Christmas, I thought it would be good to know beforehand. Personally, I'd likely use the push-pull anyways, unless the draw weight is a bit much for me.

Comments?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: DOUBLE STRING NOCK QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 03:38:52 pm »
Well, that is not an easy question to answer. If your stave is perfectly straight then yes. If you have a bit of a leaner then if you leave the nocks wide you can cut the off side deeper to track the string on the handle or to track it better. You would do both nocks. Later you can even them off with sandpaper  so they are even. Know what I mean? Ha? :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 04:19:29 pm »
Well, that is not an easy question to answer. If your stave is perfectly straight then yes. If you have a bit of a leaner then if you leave the nocks wide you can cut the off side deeper to track the string on the handle or to track it better. You would do both nocks. Later you can even them off with sandpaper  so they are even. Know what I mean? Ha? :) Jawge

Not quite what I was getting at George....I'm talking about the double nock grooves to accomdate a loop stringer cut into the top of the tip overlays. Or is the outer notch only cut from the sides???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:43:24 pm »
I put double nocks on a war bow I built but it had hern nocks. I think if you take it easy and pull slow but stead you shouldn't have a problen with the limb splitting. It is not like the string nocks that get a lot of abuse every time you shoot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »
Hey there
I would not be too worried about double nocks splitting your bow tip when stringing, enev if the stringing nocks are cut deep. You only pull the bow enough to get the string at brace height. Tension on the stringer is not enough to jeopardize the tip's integrity. I'ts not as if you were pulling that bow back to 30'' with the stringing nocks. I'm talking straight bows here. If you were to string a very reflexed bow with double nocks, there would be more risk of the tips splittiing since stringer tension would be greater.

Hope this helps
Matt
Quebec, Canada

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »
Hey there
I would not be too worried about double nocks splitting your bow tip when stringing, enev if the stringing nocks are cut deep. You only pull the bow enough to get the string at brace height. Tension on the stringer is not enough to jeopardize the tip's integrity. I'ts not as if you were pulling that bow back to 30'' with the stringing nocks. I'm talking straight bows here. If you were to string a very reflexed bow with double nocks, there would be more risk of the tips splittiing since stringer tension would be greater.

Hope this helps
Matt

YAh, that's what I'm referring to....
And I'm referring to trad. ELBs here as well. WITH horn nocks.
Thanks guys.