Author Topic: I would like to see the jigs you use to glue on your backings  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Matt Ewing

I would like to see the jigs you use to glue on your backings
« on: December 01, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »
   Hi my name is Matt Ewing and I am curious how you glue and clamp your backings. Iam new to this sight,only because i just found it. Just wanted to say hi and get some fresh ideas. Thanks Matt

Offline sailordad

Re: I would like to see the jigs you use to glue on your backings
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:27:37 pm »
if its a wood or boo backing i just wrap it with a cellophane,then strips of inner tube pulled fairly tight
the cellophane is just to keep my inner tube wrap clean
as far as forms,it depends on the style of bow,but i only have r/d form and a form for making recurve tips
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:44:11 am »
Matt,

I have tried G clamps to apply backings. It seemed slow, heavy, annoying etc.

I much prefer to wrap with a "bandage" of inner tube strip. I like to use a slow setting glue like resorcinol which gives plenty of time. Once wrapped you can leave th bow to set straight or clamp the middle down to a board and lift the tips to give reflex, or put the handle on a block, pull mid limbs down to the board and lift the tips up onto blocks to give reflex deflex. It's a very simple method and doesn't need jigs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:22:26 am »
I use C clamps. I clamp the handle down, raise the tips up on some 6" tall wood blocks and finish applying the clamps.

Offline Matt Ewing

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:33:32 pm »
Thanks guys great ideas. I build a jig but its a pain to use. Its a 2by 6 with carrage bolts and i cut oak blocks for clamps and tighten them with nuts. works good but it takes forever to git them all tight. Thanks Matt