Poll

How many here use a stringer to brace their bows and how many brace by hand

Brace by hand using the push/pull
Brace by hand using the step through
Brace by using a 2 cup stringer
Brace with a sliding bow limb stringer
Brace with a rubber pressure pad stringer

Author Topic: Bows and Stringers  (Read 22935 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Bows and Stringers
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 11:12:26 am »
Shoeman
I didn't say they were all bad.  The 2 cup stringers are fine.  The sliding limb stringers are the worst you can use.  They break/ruin bows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Shoeman

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 11:44:12 am »
Can you explain why?    ???

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 11:53:24 am »
I never use a stringer.  I will step through on bows over 80#.

Del.  You can do whatever you want with your own bows.  How would you feel though if you made a bow for someone and they broke it because of improper stringing?  Would you feel inclined to replace it?
No, of course not.
I was trying to say that it's about the person doing it as much as the method, most methods are open to abuse.
A bit like your comment on sliding limb stringers, the stringers don't break bows, it's the person using them.
I just a baaaad kitty  :'(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 11:57:00 am »
Marc,
The first time I saw someone use that style of stringer, I thought it put disproportionate limb pressure on the bow, but never questioned it.  Your the first person I've seen to knock it, which validates my original thoughts  ;)

Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Shoeman

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 12:57:46 pm »
So using a simple string in the nocks long enough to reach both with plenty of slack is bad?   It looks like it stresses the bow less than a full draw would.  That's what i don't understand.

Geoff

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 01:03:41 pm »
I never use a stringer.  I will step through on bows over 80#.

Del.  You can do whatever you want with your own bows.  How would you feel though if you made a bow for someone and they broke it because of improper stringing?  Would you feel inclined to replace it?
Absolutely not! When I deliver bows, a very specific and explicit set of instructions goes with it. Among those is how to string it with push/pull.

Adam (or anyone else that sells their bows) - I'm just curious how you would deal with someone who purchased a bow from you and then proceeded to damage it by using it incorrectly, but denies doing anything wrong (not implying that your bows would break!)?  There's really no way to prove one way or the other, so if you were to guarantee your bow for say, a year, would you be stuck with the repair or building a replacement bow?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:03:44 pm by Cameroo »

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 01:24:09 pm »
I can see your thinking on the slidding rubber, but when I string my 73" elb the upper limb is 2" longer than the lower limb, so the angle from center is about the same; in addition, a person can always shift the bow in hand forward or backwards a couple inches. Considering the bow will only be stressed to approximately brace heigth and only for a couple seconds, the onus of the damage seems to lie with the person stringing the bow. Yea, if I mis-instructed someone on how to string a bow after I had sold/given to him, and it broke as a result, I would feel obligated to replace it.
We stick bowyers are a rare breed, and have to live and die by our convictions :)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 02:34:41 pm »
.... I would feel obligated to replace it.
We stick bowyers are a rare breed, and have to live and die by our convictions :)
ARRRGHHH AAARGGGH and thrice AAARRRGHHH... that word 'obligated' is one of my pet hates
 ... what a horrid constuction, there is a perfectly good word 'Obliged', much shorter and sounds nicer.
Sorry it's just my pedantic Englishness, but you guys have a habit of reconstructing words backwards. In this case you seem to go back from obligation to 'obligated'.
Doesn't obliged sound nicer...?
Sorry I'll go and hide in my secret cat nest :-[.
(Jolly bad show old chap ;) )
Del

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 02:39:24 pm »
So using a simple string in the nocks long enough to reach both with plenty of slack is bad?   It looks like it stresses the bow less than a full draw would.  That's what i don't understand.

Geoff

Geoff

You should re-read what I said

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 02:43:49 pm »
.... I would feel obligated to replace it.
ARRRGHHH AAARGGGH and thrice AAARRRGHHH... that word 'obligated' is one of my pet hates
 ... what a horrid constuction, there is a perfectly good word 'Obliged', much shorter and sounds nicer.
Sorry it's just my pedantic Englishness, but you guys have a habit of reconstructing words backwards. In this case you seem to go back from obligation to 'obligated'.
Doesn't obliged sound nicer...?
Sorry I'll go and hide in my secret cat nest :-[.
(Jolly bad show old chap ;) )
Del

Let's not pick on the use/misuse of the English language now as others can always find something wrong with the pickers use of the language

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 03:15:31 pm »
To me, obligated and obliged mean two different things. To be obligated means that I have a responsibility to do so. It means that I HAVE to do it. Obliged means that I took a fancy to doing it, but not that I had a responsibility to do so. I know that I wasn't obligated to post this, but I felt obliged to.
Interesting take on it.
It must be a US vs UK usage thing, to me 'Obliged' means you MUST do it (eg by law)... Who was it said we are two nations, separated by a common languge? (or somesuch)
@ Mark, it's just an observation, made hopefully with some humour, I don't mean to hi jack the thread or offend anyone. Just pencil it in as a Brit thing... (the clue is in my signature)
Del
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:18:33 pm by Del the cat »

Offline NTD

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 03:19:06 pm »
US didn't create the usage rather the UK dropped the usage.  It seems Scotland still uses it, but who cares bout them right ;)

So about stringing them bows.....

Is there any historical use of bow stringers?
Nate Danforth

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »
Del, we have tended to re-write the spoken word in this country; but then again we know the rank between major and general is "kernal".

re-gress:  to go back
pro-gress:  to go forward
di-gress:  to turn aside
con-gress:  ?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Shoeman

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 05:28:18 pm »

Geoff

Geoff

You should re-read what I said

I have, but I'm still confused.  Not knowing what a sliding limb stringer is may be part of my problem.
  Bottom line for me is am I OK to use a simple string (two loops and about 6-8" longer than my bows) or am I going to break one?
  Sorry to be slow on the uptake.  I'm all new to this and trying to learn fast.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 06:13:24 pm »
A sliding stringer has a cup at one end and the other end has a piece of plastic that fits around the other limb that is supposed to slide down the limb as you brace the bow.

If your loops fit on the tips then you are fine with that

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com