Author Topic: thinking of making my own bow......  (Read 3469 times)

Offline archerforlife2

thinking of making my own bow......
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:50:54 am »
hey everyone i have never built a bow before and thought it would be cool to build my own can anyone give me some tips and what kind of wood to use and were i can get it for something other than a small fortune???? any tips will be appreciated thanks.
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline ohma

Re: thinking of making my own bow......
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 01:00:39 pm »
my advice would be to first buy volume 1 boyers bible.and then go from there.plenty of help to be had here, but some time with the book will go a long way. good luck and enjoy your journey.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 01:01:40 pm »
1X2 red oak board from Home depot works great!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Shoeman

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:08:06 pm »
my advice would be to first buy volume 1 boyers bible.and then go from there.plenty of help to be had here, but some time with the book will go a long way. good luck and enjoy your journey.

Too true!   I was able to find vol 1 and 2 at my local library, and they were a huge help.  Just having finished my first bow, I can add that you need to understand how terribly important the grain of the wood is.  Study all the info on it you can, and be really selective on the board you pick.   My first effort broke early in the process because I was not as knowledgeable as I needed to be.
It's very satisfying though, give it a try!

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:42:22 pm »
Just go for it, you will learn so much with your first attempt, even if it's doesn't work.
All the reading will make much more sense once you've had a go.
My real advice is, once you get to the point wher you are removing wood and nothing seems to be happening, DON'T reach for the power tools or be tempted to go quicker, that's just the point where it will suddenly start to happen a bit quicker.
The first 50% of the the work takes 80% of the time, the last 50% goes much wuicker and needs you to slow down.
To sumarise, 'If in doubt, stop and have a think/beer/coffee/sleep on it'
Good luck and have fun.
(Click the globe symbol under my username, that will take you to my website, there are some tillering videos on there which may be helpful)

Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 07:04:54 pm »
im sure all them books are good maybe even great
however i have never owned,borrowed or check out from the library any of them books
i have made many successful bows,also some not so successfull bows
all you realy need to do is get some wood,some basic tools,a digi camera and your computer
take pics,post pics on this site and ask questions,look at previous topic posts etc
most of the folks on here are very helpfull and willingy to help you along the way
remember there are no stupid questions,jusyt stupid people that dont ask questions  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 08:30:54 pm »
okay thanks i think i am going to home depot this weekend possibly if not there's a lumber store in the town that i live in i will go there thanks everybody for the tips greatly appreciated also what would work as a string with out buying one?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 09:13:54 pm »
What area do you live in?  There are good trees for making bows just about everywhere.  Board bows are great, but for me, going from tree to bow the first time was amazing.  Strings are cheap to buy.  They are easy to make if you have the string material.  When you get your bow done and are ready for a string, shoot me a message and I will make one and send it to you. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 09:46:28 pm »
okay thanks and  :) i live in the pacific northwest Washington area. what kind of tree work best for bows?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 10:01:23 pm »
Hey Archer   I am over on the east side of Washington, over here we have black locust, black walnut, mulberry, plum, cherry, maple,apple, pear,  is what I see most of, over on the west side there are many of these and also yew and vine maple. Others,  also,  I am sure.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 10:32:10 pm »
yeah i have made dinky little play bows before out a vine maple and there is a lot of normal maple too never seen a yew i was wondering about hickory?

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:53:25 pm »
This year I decided to make my own bow just as you.  I read books, email articles, and magazines for any information I could find.  All of the information was interesting but the best decision I made was to find an experienced bowyer and get his guidance with this task.  When I told him about all the research I had done he said "great, now I have to unlearn you everything you read".  I put the books down and followed his guidance.  I have made 2 bows both successful, presently on my 3rd bow.  So my advice would be to find an experienced bowyer and become his apprentice.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 11:09:56 pm »
i would love to do that but that option is not available to me  :(

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 11:17:26 pm »
If you know what vine maple looks like then you are like Flynn, as the saying goes.  VM is a fantastic bow wood. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 12:00:59 am »
really i would have never thought......... now just to find a piece long enough and big enough around...... the hunt begins  :)