Author Topic: Arrowwood Vibernum  (Read 1523 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Arrowwood Vibernum
« on: December 04, 2010, 09:17:24 pm »
Can this plant be bought at a hardware store or plant nursery and then used for arrows? What would be the growing time until it could be harvested?
I'm told it grows wild along the NC coast, but I'm a distance from there so starting my own plants may be an option.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Arrowwood Vibernum
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 09:58:34 pm »
I bought 2 plants from a nursery here in Wilkes last year. I should be able to harvest next year.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:47:23 am »
Thanks Nugget, I shall be on the search for viburnum to plant in the back yard.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:00:00 am »
Another interesting piece of info on viburnum is that Otzi the Iceman had shafts of viburnum in his quiver...That's about as primitive as I know of..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:01:53 am »
Arrowwood and blackhaw viburnums both grow naturally throughout NC. They both grow up here in the mountains. I have blackhaw growing on my property(naturally) but a few miles up the road arrowwood grows.  
  For any shoot growth that will be used for arrows you want at least second year growth so only cut shoots with small branches on it. Ones with only leaves(leaf scars now after leaf drop) are first year growth and too flimsey for decent arrows.
  You might find red osier dogwood or other shrub type dogwoods at nurseries too for making good arrows. Look for nurseries that advertise native materials.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC