Author Topic: PA Hupa Bows  (Read 2415 times)

Offline bigcountry

PA Hupa Bows
« on: December 14, 2010, 06:00:07 pm »
Man, I love these yew paddle bows. 

Was anyone else blown away with the bows in the newest PA?

So how far would someone draw these bows?  They are so short.

I am considering trying one.  But want to make it so I can draw it full 29".  Either the hupa short drew em or where very small people
Westminster, MD

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: PA Hupa Bows
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:17:20 pm »
These bows were not drawn all that far.  I have read that they were drawn around 19 - 23 inches is all.  They still have alot of bend for that draw though.  Search the site for this type of bow.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 11:39:27 pm »
It is written,that they were short drawn,but i have often wodered about that.Many Hupa bows have bent tabs at their outer extremities.It is believed,that this is to prevent string loss if overdrawn.This feature combined with the fact that many Hupa were small people compared to folks today,makes me wonder if they werent drawn further than thought.It would Tax the sinew more makeing a faster bow.Many Early Hupa were in fact Smaller people.It is evident in many Full Bloods today.I call severall of them friends.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42:09 pm »
The bows are on the short side but how long were their arrows?

Average seems to be 28 inches to 30 inches long. Why put the extremely forward bent tips on - to prevent the string falling off. So I reckon the bows were pulled back so far that unless they had those forward pointing tips the string would have pulled off!

I'm not sure how far that would be, but I'd love to find out. They seem to be very well made bows and arrows, very well finished and decorated. I'd love to replicate one.

Mark in England

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:18:02 pm »
All, I can figure, is unless we find a lost tribe of hupa somewhere, we may never know. >:D
Westminster, MD