Author Topic: Osage Bow for Father-In-Law  (Read 3228 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Osage Bow for Father-In-Law
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:49:17 pm »
Last Christmas I made a bow for each of my brother-in-laws.  I had no idea I would create three traditional archery monsters.  They LOVE to shoot, and we do so at every family gathering.  However, my biggest surprise came when my father-in-law took a fancy to shooting.  I made him a lightweight oak bow just to get him started.  He even set up a target and keeps the grass mown nice and short for every family get-together! Long story short, he's hinted a couple of times that he's in need of a heavier bow (mostly to perpetuate his comedic feud with a local woodchuck who has taken up residence in the far corner of his land!). 

So, I had a little sliver of osage that I literally thought I couldn't get a bow out of but couldn't bear to throw out.  It had about 1" of deflex, was only 64" long, was crooked as a dog's hind leg, and didn't have enough wood in it to build a flatbow.  I don't particularly fancy D-bellied bows, but it was all I could do with this stave.  I heated the snot out of it to get it aligned, but didn't take any deflex out of it.  It finished out at 43# @ 26", has bison horn tip overlays, a floppy rest, satin lacquer finish, and a nice feel in the hand.  The string follow gives it a nice smooth early draw, and you can just feel it give in the handle at full draw.  I was impressed how quickly it shoots...it's obviously not a speed demon, but those small limbs sure do recover quickly.  I added three arrows to keep the woodchuck dancing this fall!  Didn't have time for many pictures, but here's a few:

He's quite the crack-shot.  Here's the first arrow of his second round at 18 yards:

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline aero86

Re: Osage Bow for Father-In-Law
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:54:58 pm »
i like short bows, and this one is really nice!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:20:44 pm »
Sometimes simple is elegant!
I really like this bow!!! Wish I had some osage staves to play with!
Nice work man...

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:08:50 pm »
Beautiful bow.  The toasted belly is gorgeous on osage.  I like the attention to detail, like the matching bow string ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline Autumnbear

• My drum site
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:01:18 pm »
Really nice! Do you have any sisters i can marry?
"WHY DON'T WE LIBERATE, THESE UNITED STATES WE'RE THE ONES WHO NEED IT THE WORST
LET THE REST OF THE WORLD HELP US FOR A CHANGE AND REBUILD AMERICA FIRST"--MERLE HAGGARD

CLEAN AND SOBER AND PROUD OF IT HOSS!!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:54:50 pm »
That's a great tiller and excellent job on passing it on. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!