Author Topic: Corned Venison  (Read 4328 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Corned Venison
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:15:45 pm »
For the last 5 years people have been eating my corned venison/antelope/elk and asking how hard it is to make.  It's easy as can be and I think a lot of the people in here could use this in their "trick bag".

"Corn" refers to the Olde English measurement of the grains of salt used...they were the size of small grain like wheat, rye, barley, and the like.  Later on when North American maize showed up, it ended up stealing the generic name "corn" that used to apply to all amall grains.  Today we won't worry about the size of the salt, just the proper make-up.  You are going to use a combination of canning/pickling salt and Morton's TenderQuick.  The pickling salt has no iodine or additives to keep it from clumping, but that's just fine.  The TenderQuick has a little added nitrites/nitrates that help keep bacterial bogies from turning your meat into dripping, stinking, rotting flesh, always a plus.

Use whole cuts from the hind quarters, whole muscle groups work really well and on smaller deer, I have deboned a hindquarter and left it as one piece with good luck.  Backstraps work particularly well for this and when cooked up and sliced across the grain provides one of the finest sandwich meats I have ever tasted.  Smoke the corned backstrap and you will have venison Canadian bacon!

For each 4 lbs of meat:
Mix 1/2 cup each Tenderquick and pickling salt
1/4 cup sugar (brown or white)
2 Tbsp cracked black peppercorns
couple smashed cloves of garlic

Method #1 uses 2 qts of water to dissolve the dry ingredients and then you will submerge the cuts of meat in the brine for about 8 days, turning each piece daily while it cures.  Method #2 just covers every side of the meat in the salts and again, turn each piece daily for at least 8 days.  With either method, be sure to keep it refrigerated at 35-38 degrees F.  If it gets warmer, things can go south, if it is colder the curing takes significantly longer.  If using the method with water and the brine gets "ropey" or "gooey", pour it off, rinse the meat in cold water, and start a new batch of brine. 

To cook, put the corned venison in a large pot, add a quart of water for each lb of meat (or more because it is salty) and bring just to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer just below boiling for 3 hours or longer, skim off any foam that forms on the surface of the pot.  I put mine in a large roasting pan in the oven set at 200 degrees F.  About 45 minutes before serving you can add a heap of whole carrots, potatoes, onions, cabbage cut in quarters, or whatever veggies you like.  Always slice meat across the grain for best results.  Remember to make more than you think you need because this stuff makes great sandwiches when cold.

And last tip:  Don't thaw out a roast to brine...once meat has been frozen it just doesn't cure properly, always use fresh meat.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Corned Venison
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:29:32 pm »
Thanks for the recipe.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Postman

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 02:51:01 pm »
sounds great - ever try canning this?
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:57:23 pm »
JW....which method do you prefer using?
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:17:00 pm »
When I do large quantities....30 lbs or more, I use a large cooler and the liquid method.  It's easier to turn it daily.  Smaller batches I do with just the salts in the fridge and use the lettuce crisper drawer.  With the "dry" method you still pull a lot of moisture out of the meat and end up with a dark red brine.  Six of one and half dozen of the other. 

No, I have not canned it, but it should be pretty easy.  I usually wrap and freeze mine. 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:43:00 pm »
Man....I'll tell you....I live in No Ma's Land...the locals have never heard of ...or know where I can get Morton's Tenderquick....I'll have to order it Online!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »
You can make your own curing salt if your local druggist (and not the guy on the corner) carries sodium nitrite and or sodium nitrate. 

Some common curing mixtures:
Cure #1 contains 6.25% Sodium nitrite: 93.75% Salt (for fresh and cooked sausages)
Cure #2 contains 6.25% Sodium nitrite: 4% Sodium nitrate and 89.75% Salt (for dry-cured sausages)

You can also order online.  Look up "curing salt" and you will find a huge pile of sources.

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:38:40 am »
Im excited about this  ;D I love corned anything and everything. thanks JW
Its only wood