Author Topic: back at it, need help! *final draw*  (Read 5970 times)

Offline aero86

back at it, need help! *final draw*
« on: November 28, 2010, 03:53:57 pm »
hey everyone, back at making bows again.  havent posted one since my last broken one months ago.  just havent been into it lately.  also, the new has worn off the Mongol bow i got, so i wanted to try my hand again at a shorter siyah'ed bow.  and of course i went with red oak.. 

had to start out with a 3 inch wide board, cause the 1.5 inch wides werent any good.  i made it a bit longer than the last one i tried to make.  this one was 55 inches long before the siyahs were glued on, compared to the others at 48.  not sure how what the space is between the nocks or what not.  but, an interesting thing happened when making this bow. 

i goofed up!  lol.  go figure.  i didnt notice till i started tillering it.  the top limb is an inch longer than the bottom.  i moved the handle down a bit by mistake, but i guess its not such a bad thing, asymetrical might help me.  it has taken set, more than likely from me not removing wood properly in the early stages of floor tillering, not too worried about it as im not reallly looking for a performer out of it, just an unbroken bow!  lol.

anyways, ill stop being so long winded with this.  i need help with the tiller.  i usually use my porch floor for tillering, but i couldnt take a decent picture as the shadows were funny, so i had to use the side of my house.  hopefully the lines of the siding can help with you guys reference..  i can see its off, but it doesnt seem to because the siyahs appear to be at the same angle.

so im a bit stuck and need some help.  it looks like i need to get the right limb bending a bit more, but im not sure as its an inch shorter.  also, from the looks of it, anyone think i might be able to get to 27 with it unbacked?  thats right at 2 times the length.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:02:30 pm by aero86 »
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: back at it, need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 04:30:29 pm »
I don't know about the tiller, but that's a sweet ride you've got there!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 04:48:40 pm »
Trying to get on his good side, Cameroo?  Aero is totally into performance sports cars, even on his limited budget.  hehehe
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »
Looking pretty good.  I would scrape a bit more on the mid to outer limb of the right limb, looks a bit flat there.  Have you tried a tillering gizmo yet? 
Nate Danforth

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 05:25:06 pm »
I'd agree. The right limb is behind, and stiff in the middle.

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 05:32:06 pm »
"anyone think i might be able to get to 27 with it unbacked?  thats right at 2 times the length."

It's not 2x the working limb though, which is the general rule, but who cares about rules right ;D  This is supposed to be fun.  If you're willing to take the risk, push for the 27"...Have you heat treated the belly?  Maybe heat treat, get the limbs bending more evenly and give that 27" a whirl.  What's it drawing now?
Nate Danforth

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 05:38:12 pm »
yeah, that there is lighting mcqueen.  12v of fury.  i wouldnt even trade JW for his bow for that thing!  lol. 

your right NTD, i had it a bit messed up there.  im probably gonna heat treat the belly.  i have some sinew, i thought about using on it, but im not sure.  i might have a better blank of another wood coming that i intended to use it on.

in that picture, its drawing 24.  about the same as my last one, that broke at 25 on me.  this one definitely looks better than that one did..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 07:01:49 pm »
well, i braved it.  made it to 27 inches.  i need to get a proper string made for it.  im still thinking its going to break on me.  either way, ive learned a lot on taking my time, planning it out, paying attention to where ive measured!  lol.  might put some linen on the back just to keep it from blowing up and beaning me in the head. 

its about 58 inches NTN
it ended up at 35lbs @27
set i wont post because idk how to measure it for sure!  lol. needless to say, its not pretty.

well, heres 27.  again, left limb is the upper, longer limb

Offline okiecountryboy

Re: back at it, need help! *final draw*
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 07:34:57 pm »
Hey Aero
As soon as I read "Back at it", I knew that it was a siyah style you were attempting. ;D  You are gonna get there. With that longer upper limb...don't call it a mistake....it is a version of a Japanese style bow ;). I think it will come out just fine! We have both snapped a lot of that danged red oak. I know the pain! :-[

Can't wait to see the final pics. got a good feeling about this one....DON'T HURRY...TAKE IT SLOW!!

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline acker

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:24:52 pm »
aero , if you shoot with a selfbow , how long would you hold up the bow on full draw ? 30 seconds ? or even a minute ? No , 1 or 2 seconds because,  you don't want to hurt the bow .
But you do make a photo under fulldraw on the tillering tree  :o...... ;D
 A photo drawn to around 23" is good enough to know how the tiller looks like . ;)

Oh, tiller looks good  :)
acker

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 09:42:20 pm »
yeah, i know, i dont leave it there for long..  i have the camera ready, draw it, hook it, line it up, then snap.  probably too long and the reason why there is lots of set!  lol

Offline acker

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:32:38 am »
I think we all did that often,(me as well ;D ) them sort of photos , but if you think about it you know how bad it is for a selfbow

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 12:26:13 pm »
"I think we all did that often,(me as well Grin ) them sort of photos , but if you think about it you know how bad it is for a selfbow"

So true. I only take full draw pictures when drawing it by hand now. Sometimes even full draw videos. Something about the tiller tree giving the bow almost no slack really aint good for a bow.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 05:23:48 pm »
im gonna go out on a limb here , in my mind if its tillered correct and no one part of the limb is overstrained i dont think 30 secs. will hurt a bow. ive taken numerous pics and then brought them to my pc to check on tiller .and the bow still come out with zero set. its not something i would do with a flight bow with the lowest possible mass but a normal hunting bow should be no prob. jmo

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 07:16:45 pm »
thats all i use is a tiller stick,no fancy tree with a pulley for me
i made a stick when i first started in this hobby
every one keeps saying you gotta have a tree,they are soooooo much better
better for the bow,safer for you
well i take my pics on it,i tiller on it,sometimes i even stare at the bow while its drawn on it
i am with Ken here,my bows all perform well,none have taken a huge amount of set,and i have yet to have one blow on the stick
i think as far as them causing undue stress on a bow,that is kept to minimum if you arent exceeding your intended draw weight/length

now if someone wants to come over with all the supplies and make me two tiller trees(i have two work areas  ;D ) then fine i wil use it
untill then a tiller stick is just fine for me,(im too cheap to go replace something that aint broken or missing )
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd