Author Topic: fungus question  (Read 2683 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
fungus question
« on: November 26, 2010, 04:18:18 pm »
sorry to bring this up again guys but, I'm confused.. Would you use this boo or not???? shall I throw it away, waste a lot of money and many hours planing?? or risk it??  Has anyone seen this type of mould on boo before?? What I do depends on your answers this time, I dont know ???
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Far East Archer

Re: fungus question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 04:29:21 pm »
It is not a good mold, some white or powder green is ok, can whip off no damage but this is usually not very good.
Is it deep? If it disappear after some millimeter of thickness reduction I would use no problem, or if it does not reach power fiber. Usually if its on skin side I worry more. Maybe test one piece is better idea than trash.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 04:36:36 pm »
yes it goes right through the boo. I guess testing is my only option. A hopeful sign is , it may be dead, because when I bought it it had some white mold that I quickly removed with white spirit then it turned black????
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Far East Archer

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 04:54:19 pm »
I think you may have just stained it, though I would still test a piece. Alcohol would mix with the pigments of fungus and soak in like a stain, even if just wipe off with cloth no solvent it stain bamboo a little. If it is damaged you can tell because it will snap at discolored spot rather easy, especially at node section.

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:14:00 pm »
i am going to have to agree with most of the people on here, its prolly just the pigment, test it, see how it turns out, if it doesnt work, you can at least say you tried,
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:54:28 am »
thanks guys, that does help (and gives me fresh hope ;D) I'm really fed up with ordering bamboo, they tell me its good and when it comes it is split damaged mouldy and generally mistreated. It makes sense what you say, never thought about that. It doesnt look or feel degraded, I've looked under a lense and tested bits and it acts the same as good boo, but you know the work a bow takes!!! dont want to waste my precious time...

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 12:08:56 pm »
thanks guys, that does help (and gives me fresh hope ;D) I'm really fed up with ordering bamboo, they tell me its good and when it comes it is split damaged mouldy and generally mistreated. It makes sense what you say, never thought about that. It doesnt look or feel degraded, I've looked under a lense and tested bits and it acts the same as good boo, but you know the work a bow takes!!! dont want to waste my precious time...

time < Money or time > Money

either way you look at it, if you waste one, it isnt going to end well, but you atleast tried,
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 12:44:48 pm »
Are you sure thats mold? its hard to tell from just a photo. if its mold it should be soft in that spot. it could just be natural discoloration from time and oxidation. if its hard, I would use it. maybe heat temper it a bit for good measure.
Its only wood

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 06:28:30 pm »
yeh Bucksbouy, it doesnt look like mold it looks like stain, not a good photo I know, never saw it before but it is just as hard as the un'stained' around it, so I'm gonna go with the above theory and use a piece, thanks for the imput.

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:14:25 am »
It's mould. Same thing happened to me. The mouldy bits are very brittle :'(

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 09:56:38 am »
    Yes these spots will be brittle. Iv'e used bamboo like this once.But I put it In the handle.So if you can keep it on a non working spot handle or tips you'll be find.This is as much as I can help you.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING