Author Topic: cherry for tip overlay  (Read 1207 times)

Offline sonny

cherry for tip overlay
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:47:40 pm »
Last week I was clearing one of the paths where I hunt of a cherry tree that recently fell, decided to cut a
short section to split for whatever use might come to mind.
I think it would make for some nice tip overlays (which I typically don't do)
but am concerned that it's not dense enough.
seems that most tend to use denser woods, like osage, ipe and the like.

any reason not to use it ??

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: cherry for tip overlay
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 12:58:36 pm »
Glenn, the cherry should work fine. If you are concerned just coat it well with super glue to add surface strength. I have used lots of different woods, not just stronger woods for overlays with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:59:09 pm »
Could always laminate a tip overlay with cherry at the uppermost layer....denser wood underneath.

Far East Archer

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:56:29 pm »
Purpose of overlay for bow is protect tip from string when using a soft bow wood.
I think you want for decoration?

If so, it is not matter much density of wood, but more nock design. You want smooth curves and transitions to reduce stress points for string to dig/split. Same idea as fade in bow handle, if too sharp it will splinter. You can also thicken string in these area as it will add more cushion. Biggest problem on any type nock is bowyers knot, since it become tighter when bow is drawn, so, especially this area needs thicker string.

Cherry wood is fine I think, I would not even think of problem if I were to use, it is all about design. I think maybe under .50 sg I may worry a little.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 03:31:04 am »
Well, cherry wood is softer than most woods you would use for a bow, that's why I would NOT use it, plus I have a bucket full of all sorts of exotics, domestics, horn and antler, that do the job better, BUT ...even with FF I would not worry if I'd use it: it'll function.
You could also use it as a contrasting layer under horn; on the oicture it's prune I used.
Frank from Germany...