Author Topic: Notching discovery  (Read 1324 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Notching discovery
« on: November 25, 2010, 04:09:27 pm »
Thought I'd share this with you guys.
 So i use one of those Dacron hand pressure flaker with a metal nail to notch. Anyone my screws wore out and could not hold the nail anymore.
I wanted to get a point notched so i removed the copper from my Dacron ishi stick and put my nail in there and i notched the point with my ishi stick. Oh man it was easy, I think I'll do all my notching with my ishi stick for now on. all presser notching anyway.
 Remember to use your horse shoe nail notched to set up your plat forms after each flake and abrade inside the notch. A bone splinter works well for you abo guys :)
Happy knapping.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Notching discovery
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:01:33 pm »
cool thanks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 06:25:41 am »
shannon told me to try the ulna bone for notching and i wont use anything else now. just gotta figure out how to attatch it to an ishi stick.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:40:38 pm »
I watch Mike Santiago notch that way and he gets deep thing notches!  It makes sense u can generate more leverage and control!  Thanks Jesse...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 10:54:23 pm »
another Discovery,
 I cut my palm on a C flake when i was punch notching so i used my torch to melt some wax and used my fingers on my left hand to apply the wax to my right palm.
When i went back to punch notching it was allot more easy to hold the punch and press it to the plat form with wax on my fingers.
 :)
Mililani Hawaii