Author Topic: your best performer  (Read 10882 times)

Offline PatM

Re: your best performer
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 10:18:43 pm »
When people on here listed their best performer it is just that type of bow they bring up. Not necessarily the fastest bow or furthest shooting but the best all-rounder.
 Those ones don't collect dust unless they finally do give up the ghost a bit. That does happen and the excuse to try to make another that fills that void is always rewarding.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:20 pm »
What Pat M said. Just gathering info. I'll take a man at his word.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:34 pm »
Good topic,interesting-my best performer is an unbacked hickory 67" long, flat back,straight grain,slightly rounded  belly,60#@27",1 3/4 wide to 1/2 tips,been my huntin' buddy for 5 years-Hammertime

Offline Keenan

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 10:36:02 pm »
 What I listed as best is a multitude of factors from ease of stringing to being able to stand the riggers of being strung all day and not lose cast.  This really sunk home with me years ago when there was a competition called the ambush bow challenge. This contest took all those factors into consideration. Results for me where that it inspired me to try some new things and learn what I liked and what worked.  As far as collecting dust ,,,,thats doubtfull with anyones best performers,,,,,,,best performers are a pleasure to shoot.

Offline n2huntn

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 10:40:29 pm »
Keenan,
 Do you have the specs on the winner of that challenge or can you post a link? I would really like to read more about this. Your bow is a beauty by the way.
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Jeff

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 11:48:12 pm »
  ( I like them so well that I cant get interested in other designs.  Kenneth) Quote from little John!
You said a mouthful there Ken, good way to judge them.

Keenan, The ambush bow challenge stuck in my head as well, I liked the criteria and still use the bow I built for that challenge.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 12:41:48 am »
hope ya'll dont mind an amateur jumping in here havent been at this long but....., i think my favorite bows have been the mid fifty to low sixty inch static recurves . built from hickory which is my drug of choice ! although the semi pyramids in the same length are extremely forgiving and stable . heres a pic of my favorite so far
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:54:15 am by ken75 »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 02:19:45 am »
"i think my favorite bows have been the mid fifty to low sixty inch static recurves"

Man, I gotta second that. Especially when the siyahs/recurves are angled just right so that the string lifts off at full draw, so the draw is hard at first and then gets smooth and easy to hold at full draw. In other words a compound pulley bow without the pulleys. But when it shoots the hardness to draw at first is really early draw weight. Awesome bows. Using high string bridges might seem to amplify this effect ( I think anyway).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 01:26:06 pm »
   My best bows are by far 64" osage straight limbed or with a little nature defex.Stiff at the handle with a self cut in.Top limb inch shorter.Very close to center shot.Around 60 to 65 pounds.Good cast snappy shots where you look.Oot of 33 bucks 25 were pass throughs.EVEN 5 PASS THROUGHS with knapped points.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 02:17:53 pm »
I'm in the same boat as Holten and Little John, a flatbow with super narrow, light tips. I'm still playing with D/R bows or hybrids, whatever you want to call them, but skinny tip flatbows are tough to beat :)

Offline n2huntn

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:06 pm »
Can't find much on these ambush bows, anyone have any info?

Offline NTD

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 07:39:39 pm »
Dean Torges put on this challenge in the past.  Here's a link to the old Bowyer's Journal board, there's a board for the ABC.  Good info on that old site.

http://bowyersjournal.websitetoolbox.com/
Nate Danforth

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 09:47:07 pm »
hope ya'll dont mind an amateur jumping in here havent been at this long but.....,

heres a pic of my favorite so far

Amateur?  Ha!  Buddy, you post some very fine looking stuff, the one above is certainly some of the best stuff out there.  Oh, and if by chance you drew me in the Christmas Exchange, the one pictured above would be just fine!!!    8)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 10:07:23 pm »
so far to me my best performer is my 57" 45lb hickory d bow. Profile is pyramid taper with ishi style working handle and fades.  Sweet to draw and smooth to release...no handshock.  Very light in the hand. 

Offline n2huntn

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 05:20:44 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, so far looks like Hickory and Osage from 60 -67" is the trend so far. with the exception of Keenans beautiful Yew bow, got to try that wood some day. Not alot of 28" draws either. Looks like flat bow type is also popular.
 Aznboi3644 thank you for the link I will give it a thorough read and see what else I find.
Any preference on length of handle or fades? I figure if I dont have time to build everything I can concentrate on what has worked well for others and maybe find my new personal best.
Thanks for sharing.
Jeff