Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Strongbow

Red Oak Board Bow
« on: November 25, 2010, 12:36:43 pm »
This is bow #2 for me.  The first one splintered after a couple dozen shots.  This one is a red oak board bow 68", 67" ntn.  2" wide limbs, and 5/8" at the tips.  Backed it with black silk, and black leather wrapped handle.  Tiller seems ok but its hard to tell because the limbs twist a little when drawn.  I would say it shoots well, but since it is my only bow I don't have much to compare it against.  I'm already working on the next one so any tips to improve the next one are appreciated.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Red Oak Board Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 01:24:30 pm »
I'm pretty green myself, but I had a good teacher and I think I could offer some advice.  Your tiller looks pretty decent. I've never worked with red oak, but I think you could get away with thinner limbs toward the outer parts.  I would think 1/2 inch wide would be lots.  What's the draw weight of that sucker? Those limbs look pretty thick, but I't could be just the picture. Also, if you watch for limb twist while tillering, you can take wood off the limb's side that is opposite of the direction it's twisting (I hope that makes sense), and that will help straighten it out.

Good luck on the next one!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:24:47 pm by Cameroo »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 04:13:30 pm »
 Very nice bow especially for your first.  I liked your statement  "I'm already working on the next one "   Thants how it starts,,,,, ::)  next you'll have 5 or 6 going at the same time untill the shop is overflowing with milk and honey,,,,,,,,I mean bow wood. >:D

For constructive advice since you asked, I would say soften the edges by rounding a little more. go a little wider on the glue on handle , so that you can bled it into the fades a little better and maybe start the taper of the handle closer to the grip. Also silk tends to stretch more the denim or other backings so you could possibly gain some performance with a different backing. Experimenting will help you gain knowledge fast so do be afraid to try new things.

Again very nice bow, Congratulations. you did great!

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 05:25:37 pm »
Stringbow
I think you did just fine.
As far as the twist...do what Cameroo said to do...It will get rid of the twist while tillering. Also what is the #age on that sucker?

Great lob on first completion...I made 4 peices of fire wood before my first! Definitely round the edges on the back of the bow.

God bless
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 09:57:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I think the poundage is about 50# at 28" but I haven't checked since I finished tillering.  Also as I started shooting it I realized I need a shorter draw length, probably closer to 26" so it doesn't pull 50# for me.

Keenan-Does rounding over the edges on a flatbow design decrease performance?  Would that mean I have less material on the belly and the back to spread out the stresses of compression and tension?  That is why I didn't round them over, but I think it would look nicer if they were so if you haven't had issues with that I'll round over the next one.

-Strongbow

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:29:34 pm »
You'll still have a flat belly if you round just the edges.  You can round them to the size of a pea.  Any slight loss would be more than made up my the reduced chance of lifting a splinter.

Good advice you've gotten so far.  Good Job on your first.  Only thing I might add is get the outer midlimb bending a bit more on the next one.
Nate Danforth

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 05:33:06 pm »
 NTD said it very well, rounding the edges on top will reduce chance of lifting a splinter. I also like a slight very shallow round on the belly  Similar to a very squashed oval that is slightly flatter on the bottom. This will raise the neutral plane slightly more toward center and even the tension/compression ratios slightly as well.  Hope that makes sense.

As far as losing performance or poundage, be sure on the next one to round the edges before coming in close on your final weight. ;)

Offline NTProf

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:06:22 pm »
I usually tiller my bow 4-5 pounds heavier than my goal. That leaves room for sanding, rounding the corners, and shooting it in.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 01:50:11 pm »
I think you did an awesome job on getting a good shooter for your second attempt.  Got it bookmarked for November Self BOM fun too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln