Author Topic: huge cow hide!  (Read 2655 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

huge cow hide!
« on: November 22, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »
Hi there I need some help tanning a cow hide, not a huge one, just dd that to get more views of people who may help jeje sorry. Anyway I would like to leave the hair on, how would i go about doing this? will lie work? Thankyou
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: huge cow hide!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 05:40:05 pm »
Lie is caustic (high PH) and is what I use to dehair hides.....you might want to stay away from that.  A slightly acidic (white vinegar) will work as an astringent and help set the hair.  Also, it depends on what type of tanning- alum tanning, brain tanning, chrome tanning, etc.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:23:26 am »
thanks for that appreciate it. Can someone enlighten me on the different methods please ive searched and havent really found much.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:30:56 am »
I did an alum tan-a-long in the how to section. Jesse (leapingbare) just gave a brief outline of the brain tanning method on a recent post.  "Hides and Furs" and "Deerskin to Buckskin" are two good reads. ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:42:38 am »
Wade(N2Everything) brain tanned a full American Bison hide last year. Send him a PM
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 02:39:40 am »
Thanks for the info found it very helpful. Will try to do it and see what happens.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY