Author Topic: Silk  (Read 1952 times)

Offline mspink

Silk
« on: November 24, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »
I saw some silk in a bow build a long.. Was wondering were to squire this.. Any regular stores sell it or is it special order stuff.. Will b used for backings
Aim small miss small!

Lombard

Re: Silk
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 03:07:43 pm »
PM sent.

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 03:15:03 pm »
im interested in silk as well, but for strings!  lol.  hope im not stealing your thread by asking another question
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline mspink

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 03:47:33 pm »
No worries
Aim small miss small!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 03:57:35 pm »
All I've ever used is silk from silk dresses given to me by my daughters and wife. I just wrap thread around the seams. More info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 04:19:32 pm »
I have bought silk stuff from boot sales. I get a funny look buying a skirt, but who cares!

Here where I live I can buy silk from shops who sell to the Sikh community. I have to do a flame test as they seem to sell synthetic fabric as silk! Silk shouldn't melt.

I can buy silk ribbon from Threadart on ebay. I use this for bindings on arrows but I guess it could be used for strings and backing.

I bought some interesting silk on Ebay from Thailand.

Silk is out there if you search.

Offline SA

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 09:22:48 pm »
 fabric stores will carry it, i go to hancocks not sure if theres one in your area  but they are online. just tell them what kind of bows you are making or you get funny looks :)
Shawn Acker

Offline oat

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 10:32:05 pm »
There are many knds of silk in fabric store, synthetic(poly), mixed poly/silk, poly/cotton, silk/cotton, silk/linen etc.

And they will sell any of these as just "silk" with different price.

As I am in Thailand, I can tell you that silk may come with different grades. Either came from different worms or having different processes (hand draw vs machine draw for example). But I think the effects are smaller than real/blend/synthetic products.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 11:36:38 pm »
GoodWill and other second hand stores will have silk cloths as well as neck ties. Lots of neck ties are made from silk and you get instant decorations too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline avcase

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 12:51:55 am »
Aurora silk here in Portland is an excellent source for silk to make bow strings. Just let Cheryl know that is what you want it for. The 3-ply fine reeled cord is best for bow strings.  Please Google Arora Silk for info.    Alan
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:06:30 am by Pat B »