Author Topic: Struck by lightning  (Read 2224 times)

Grunt

Struck by lightning
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:14:19 pm »
Found a wild cherry tree on our land that was hit by lightning sometime this spring. Here are some picts of the wood staves I got off the tree. I am thinking of learning what a light application of sinew might do to a bow made out of this wood. the shortest piece is 78 inches.

Offline tetaxidermy

Re: Struck by lightning
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:09:40 pm »
I would like to see what sinew does to cherry also been thinking of trying it to, working a ring on a cherry stave now.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:27:30 am »
I haven't worked Cherry in years but was always told it was weak in Compression and bad about fretting,if thats so I would think backing would make that worse. Love to see how it turns out. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:17:36 pm »
I haven't worked Cherry in years but was always told it was weak in Compression and bad about fretting,if thats so I would think backing would make that worse. Love to see how it turns out. :)
Pappy

You got a good point there Pappy. One the first one I'll leave it unbacked and heat treat the belly.

Cacatch

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »
Cherry being weak in compression...how should you leave the belly then? Flat or rounded? I used to have a real nice cherry self bow. I gave it away before I ever had any problems with it but it was kind of a wide-limbed pyramid style with a slightly rounded belly. I did notice it has all kinds of chrysals on the belly.

CP

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:00:26 am »
I would say a flat belly and be very careful and slow with the tiller to keep all the limb
working.I would try 1 1/2 at the fads tapering to the tips, and at least 66 n-n That seem to work good for me on most white woods that are questionable in comp. :) I would also do a little
 mini bow test on the wood before I started,nothing fancy,just a sliver and do a little bend test,some people say Lighting struck is good medicine but I have had bad things happen with lightening struck trees ,especially if it was hit hard,kind of dries the wood out from the jolt.
Just my suggestion. Might save you some time and sorrow. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:10:27 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good