Author Topic: Small fissure crack between two knots, should I be concerned????!!!!  (Read 42234 times)

pooryewaddict

Re: Small fissure crack between two knots, should I be concerned????!!!!
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2010, 04:49:29 pm »
I have read this thread with some attention and I am flabbergasted.
I have had a considerable amount of glue ups done by Jim from Rudderbows and none failed on the glue line so far.
In fact I tested one to destruction and it failed at 41 inches.
One may or may not like the looks of the glueline but technically they are fine.
None of all of you who posted on this thread can judge if indeed the buyer sanded the bow into destruction. In fact perhaps in the beginning, if one does not have a clue, one should buy a ready made bow. not mess with the wood if you havent got a clue what you are doing. Now it is impossible to see if the pins in the wood would have holded, or would have cracked. Not Jim not the buyer can know now. perhaps even shooting the bow before sanding was a better option.
whatever price agreement was made to buy the bow, it is none of our business.
that brings me to the following impression, apart from one or two, you all act like a pack of wolves smelling blood.
The point where it was about a technical question or sharing knowledge has long been passed.
It is no loger helping anyone. do you really think badmouthing will do convincing and help anyone?

Reading your post you are better at building bows than writing.
but as always, my personal opinion.
I wonder if it will be on this board for long.

best of luck building bows

pooryewaddict.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2010, 05:11:10 pm »
Hello for a start...
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2010, 05:32:55 pm »
Welcome to PA PYA. I see it's your first post. How about sharing some pics of your work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

pooryewaddict

« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2010, 05:43:18 pm »
Hello Pat B., medicinewheel and others, thank you for your welcome.
In the coming days Ill start a couple  of threads for you to see my work. 'till then. '
pooryewaddict.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2010, 07:30:06 pm »
I dont agree, pooryewaddict, I think the responses where quite reasonable under the circumstances no-one was overly rude for the sake of it..., I would be well pissed off if I paid that price for a stave with a knot in like that, he deserves his money back, and the seller shouldnt get away with it, I wouldnt sell a stave like that.... just my humble opinion
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2010, 07:33:30 pm »
I find it a bit weird PYA registered today and came to the rescue of Jim....  :-\
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2010, 08:04:26 pm »
I find it a bit weird PYA registered today and came to the rescue of Jim....  :-\

Ya Think...... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2010, 10:10:07 pm »
 DejaVu
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2010, 10:15:04 pm »
I think one could have gotten around that knot by leaving the belly sufficiently proud, but it would have taken an experienced bowyer to recognize that. And that's probably not the kind of person that buys a stave like this. The glue line is ugly but it is hard to know if it is indicative of a serious problem unless until it fails.
Gordon

Offline 1776J

« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2010, 10:16:49 pm »
I have read this thread with some attention and I am flabbergasted.
I have had a considerable amount of glue ups done by Jim from Rudderbows and none failed on the glue line so far.
In fact I tested one to destruction and it failed at 41 inches.
One may or may not like the looks of the glueline but technically they are fine.
None of all of you who posted on this thread can judge if indeed the buyer sanded the bow into destruction. In fact perhaps in the beginning, if one does not have a clue, one should buy a ready made bow. not mess with the wood if you havent got a clue what you are doing. Now it is impossible to see if the pins in the wood would have holded, or would have cracked. Not Jim not the buyer can know now. perhaps even shooting the bow before sanding was a better option.
whatever price agreement was made to buy the bow, it is none of our business.
that brings me to the following impression, apart from one or two, you all act like a pack of wolves smelling blood.
The point where it was about a technical question or sharing knowledge has long been passed.
It is no loger helping anyone. do you really think badmouthing will do convincing and help anyone?

Reading your post you are better at building bows than writing.
but as always, my personal opinion.
I wonder if it will be on this board for long.

best of luck building bows

pooryewaddict.

I find it very interesting that you, not knowing myself, what was or not done, by your viewpoint are ready to assume that I may very well have, "sanded it to destruction"???
I see in your a negative person that has settled your sights upon myself, even with the given circumstances that I truly wonder if you really do understand, given your view on this matter?
Your attitude is assumptive and you know nothing at all.....except for maybe what your friend Jim has told you and swayed you to.  Its pretty evident from your thoughts this is the case, as exemplified by your own words.
So, by what you say, I "have no clue"?  I'd like the crystal ball you have that makes you a good judge of others based upon your vast lack of knowledge of myself. 
I didn't see anyone here other than myself while I was sanding it...

In regards to the bow being cracked,.... it was there BEFORE it was sanded,... it simply showed up AS it was being sanded, as the dust from sanding worked its way into the crack.  It was defective from before it ever reached me.
Anyone who has worked with wood should be able to easily understand this.

Amazing,... your second post and your strange aggressive mindset with focused cross-hairs upon me sure sounds like the same rude behavior I got from Jim.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:09:26 pm by 1776J »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2010, 11:13:32 pm »
 1776J,

HE DOES KNOW YOU. This is getting old, we've seen all of this before. I'll glue up that blank in a day or so. It's easier to just forget it and let it go.  Enjoy Christmas. Some people aren't worth the drama or stress.

This should have never even lasted 6 pages, wasn't worth it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2010, 11:51:48 pm »
1776J,

HE DOES KNOW YOU. This is getting old, we've seen all of this before. I'll glue up that blank in a day or so. It's easier to just forget it and let it go.  Enjoy Christmas. Some people aren't worth the drama or stress.

This should have never even lasted 6 pages, wasn't worth it.
couldn't agree more, it is a shame it couldnt have been stopped before it got this far

besides this drama, it let a few people's true colors shine through, it showed another great example of how generous some of the people here really are,
iunno, just trying to shed some positive light on this topic after all, optimism is always a good viewpoint (almost always)

let the drama end, let everyone find their peace and let it remain peaceful for a good while, it is all i wish for as of now...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:55:22 pm by Hawkeyes »
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline PatM

« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2010, 12:44:31 am »
I remember rudderbows starting up and I know it wasn't 18 years ago. I'm not sure why that lie came up but some of us were on here when he first started spamming the site with his stuff.
 Fred Bear practically went bankrupt making good on a line of defective bows so if Jim hardly ever gets complaints he should have little trouble swallowing the losss of this blank which probably cost him about 20 dollars to throw together.

Offline NTD

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2010, 12:45:50 am »
Don't know how I missed this thread....  :o

1776, welcome to the family.

Eddie, You're a good man!
Nate Danforth

Offline 1776J

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2010, 01:11:13 am »
Don't know how I missed this thread....  :o

1776, welcome to the family.

Eddie, You're a good man!

NYD,...

Thank you very much sir....your welcome is much appreciated!