Author Topic: Heat Gun Specs?  (Read 3748 times)

PeteDavis

Heat Gun Specs?
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:38:45 am »

I see here the use of a heat gun to modify osage staves.

What temperature range should a heat gun be capable of for bowbuilding purposes?

PD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat Gun Specs?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:35:25 am »
Hot!  My heat gun is a cheap B&D I got from a garage sale. It has 2 settings and I use the hot one.  ;D  The lower setting would work but take longer to heat the wood. Probably any heat gun will get hot enough for the job but some heat guns are trash and won't last very long. The Harbour Freight is one I have heard to stay away from.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:46:41 am »
I bought one from Home Depot. It has 2 settings-hot and hotter. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 10:24:52 am »
I use a two setting Wagner from Lowe's. The one in the picture is my second. I found if you drop one on a concrete floor enough times they will quit working and you will have to buy another one. Keep this model off the concrete and it will last forever.

I made the holder to keep the gun in between uses, keeps it from being knocked off on the concrete and prevents most accidental burns to the user.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:37:35 pm »
A 1500 watt would be perfect. But you're probably talking more way more cash. Standard for most heat guns is about 1000w that are relatively cheap. For about 45 bucks you can get the multi-temp up to 1250w from Wagner.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:51:31 pm »
I got one with digital heat control so that I could heat the wood in a controlled maner and learn what temperatures to use.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:15:14 am »
pete iv got one i picked up on flea bay for 5 bucks   5 or 6 years ago it  has 900 and 1200 setting  i leave it on 1200  never found a piece of osage i couldnt bend with it and iv done a bunch  thats all ya need brock