Author Topic: Gull wing brace height  (Read 2757 times)

Offline wally

Gull wing brace height
« on: November 23, 2010, 05:02:48 pm »
I was given a beautiful Ash gullwing self bow but it was a bit strong at 60lb for me so I've retillered it to 50Lb. It had on an artificial sinew string, is it any good for bow string?
Also how to measure brace height. Presumably from back of handle to string but the old fist miele looks too much somehow. What measurement?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:06:20 pm by wally »
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline aero86

Re: Gull wing brace height
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:51:45 pm »
it works for a string, but itll stretch over time.  i use it for my strings, just have to adjust it every now and then.  measure the brace height from the back of the handle..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:49:43 am »
Wally,
     Most every photo I have found with Native Americans holding "gull-wings" the strings nearly touched the belly of the grip.....maybe a couple of inches brace height, tops. That would have to hurt some, Think ya might want to go low with just enough to clear your bow hand when ya loose an arrow. Maybe 5" or so. That's just my opinion, maybe some of the other guys have more experience with this type than me. I try to brace all of my bows realitively low (good brace tension and no hand slap) to get as long a power stroke as possible. JMO
rich

Offline wally

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:51:05 am »
Thanks halfeye. I think you're right as a full 6 1/2" looks awfy scary to me and that's with out going to full draw!
I'll keep it low but so it don't slap me.
and hey! Let's be careful out there