Author Topic: Green cedar, douglas fir?  (Read 5166 times)

Offline bucksbuoy

Green cedar, douglas fir?
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »
I was putzing around home depot today and I saw they had green cedar. Looked and smelled like red cedar to me. They also had douglas fir. Are either of these suitable bow woods? From what Ive gathered they both are very strong and very light and weather resistant. Anyone have experience with either of these?
Its only wood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Green cedar, douglas fir?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:38:47 pm »
Never heard of green cedar but doug fir makes great arrows!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:22:04 pm »
I found this site that gives a nice break down of wood densitys and elasticitys. Answered my own question here. Cedar and douglas fir are right there. Not the best bow wood but they will work.

http://www.csudh.edu/oliver/chemdata/woods.htm
Its only wood

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:30:25 am »
I think there was an example of a douglas fir bow shown in one of the bowyers bibles.  I want to say it was wide and flax fiber backed.  Can't say for sure right now though.  Green cedar?  Got me there. 
1’—>1’

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:18:13 pm »
Yep. Green cedar decking lumber at home depot. I stared at it for 5 minutes to make sure I wasnt losing it. Maybe that was just the brand name or a typo or something.
Its only wood

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 02:37:12 pm »
I saw a bow one time that was made from quarter sawn douglas fir. never shot it but it was a working bow. I would rather make shafting from it and make the bow out of something else.
Was the cedar treated? like the presure treated pine they sell? Never heard of 'green' ceder.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.