Author Topic: tools to buy  (Read 5514 times)

big-o

tools to buy
« on: November 19, 2010, 08:35:09 pm »
I am going to Home Depot this weekend and I was going to pick up a draw knife, block plane and a rasp. Any suggestions from the experienced builders out there?

Offline aero86

Re: tools to buy
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:53:27 pm »
i dont know that home depot would carry a draw knife or even a block plane.  pick up a rasp and a surform plane.  if you have a farm and ranch store near you, they might have the same tools a bit cheaper. 

only thing you need is a hatchet and a sharp knife and you can build a bow, rather slowly!  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:08:01 pm »
I will use a draw knife when hawging off allot of wood and farriers rasp but for tillering I like cabnet scrapers and the 1/2 planer blades that are about 6" long

Offline 0209

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »
Definitely pick up a surform and a ferriers rasp.  Those two tools are awesome for getting down to the final stages of tillering.  I picked up a blade for a planer and use that as a scraping tool.  Really those are the only three tools that you need for getting a stave to full draw.  Hopefully thats helpful.
_Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 10:19:55 pm »
You'll find the draw knives at Home Depot right next to the chicken lips and frog fur.   ;D ;D ;D

I finally found a drawknife at our littel local hardware store.  Only place in the area that has them.  Great tool to have around for bows and other what-nots.  A ferrior's rasp is really handy, and then an assortment of less agressive rasps.  Use a knife as a scraper.  File your hatchet down real sharp and you're good to go.

big-o

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 10:23:12 pm »
I will try an find a Sure Form and pick up a block plane blade to use as a scraper.

Offline Gonzo98

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 10:47:40 pm »
Your best bet for a draw knife are antique shops for around 20 or so bucks.

landman

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:53:13 pm »
I managed to find a draw knife at Lee Valley for $40.  Seems to be alright.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 11:37:26 pm »
usually a lot of draw knives on ebay. ...just did a quick search about 50 drawknives a lot in the 10 dollar range

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 12:14:28 am »
all you really need to make a bow from a piece of wood are a few rock tools
however if you want to be a little more modern i would recomend

antique draw knife(much better then the newer ones)
sureform
some sort of scraper(ive used everything from old scissors to knife blades,to scrap steel pieces)
sandpaper
string
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 04:53:31 am »
Spokeshave is nice on some softer woods (Yew, Hazel), it fits somewhere between drawknife and rasp in my book. And they are V cheap.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 06:43:32 am »
Am I the only guy using a hammer and chisel? I do 90% of my carving with them and the shurform rasp. The crooked knife works great too for anyone (like myself) who doesnt have a special bow vice because you can hold the bow in one hand and carve with the other. Mora makes them for like 15 bucks. You can use a regular knife with the pull technique like a crooked knife but be careful you dont slip and disembowel yourself.
Its only wood

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 09:49:33 am »
Cruise the flea markets for antique d knives. They are awesome. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 10:36:10 am »
I also think you should get a spokeshave. Wonderful tool on clean wood, nightmare if there are big knots.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 12:00:23 pm »
only thing you need is a hatchet and a sharp knife and you can build a bow, rather slowly!  lol

or a big knife :P, my favorite tool for building a bow, is a bowie, its big, sharp( IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT), it can be used for chopping like a hatchet, and can be used like a drawknife as well(keyword is like, you can line it up, hold onto the tip and the handle and pulll back slowly for similar results,)

a good bowie will cost like $25 they arent expensive, and are a great tool in my opinion
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.