Author Topic: Western VA lithics....  (Read 2266 times)

JustinNC

Western VA lithics....
« on: November 19, 2010, 05:37:28 pm »
Got a fella I know in Western VA telling me he has "flint" all around his hunting camp. Any idea what might be found there?

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: Western VA lithics....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:11:43 pm »
Ask him what color it is.  There are several types of knappable stone in that area, within about 100 miles, it could be an outcrop.  Bill

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:09:16 pm »
He says "white"....but Ive also got guys Im asking for rhyolite in Central NC calling that white flint too......so I dont know haha

Bedford County VA is where it is.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:04:16 pm »
Hard to say unless you can get him to bring you a piece of it. There is some ridge-and-valley chert in southwestern VA, but most of it is black or gray. There are a few other types of chert around there, but I've never seen any white. Could be some, though. The old-timers around here in western NC called white quartzite "flint rocks."
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:25:29 pm »
Yep, same problem, most of the rocks used to make points aroud here are referred to as "flint".  This includes but is not limited to: Talahatta quartzite, quartz cobbles, Tuscaloosa gravel, jasper, Ft Payne, Dover, Bangor, Tennessee River cherts, Coastal Plains chert, Flint River, Buffalo River and Horse Creek chert. 

If anyone ever found a point, no matter how crude, that type of stone is refered to as "flint".  I have heard all of the above and some imported stone all called that.  Bill

JustinNC

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 09:32:02 pm »
well considering the source, it's entirely possible that it is quartzite. At these early inning of my game though, tonnage counts and any cheap/free source is a perk lol

Offline BOXTOP

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:41:31 pm »
Justin; I live in goodview, which is in bedford county. I"ve never found or seen any (white) flint here. I knapp with another guy Steve who has been at it for some years now, he says he never heard of it as well. We get together with Dr.Errett Callahan and he never seen that as well. lots of quartz around here, and have found points made of quartz in my yard...I think thats what might be. Gordon
SMITH MT. LAKE VIRGINIA (WHERE THE FISHING IS THE BEST)

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 03:55:47 pm »
Must be what it is. Oh well. Didnt know much about the area and figured it was worth a shot.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 04:26:25 pm »
Quartz is knappable, some of it is more knappable than others.  It is really bad about frost crazing, when you hit it, it has cracks all through it.  It is hard finding a solid piece, but when you do, it is pretty good for percussion, not so good for pressure flaking.  Bill

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:31:23 pm »
Quartz is knappable, some of it is more knappable than others.  It is really bad about frost crazing, when you hit it, it has cracks all through it.  It is hard finding a solid piece, but when you do, it is pretty good for percussion, not so good for pressure flaking.  Bill

We'll Id have to have him gather it and pay him to ship it to me or make a 4-6hr trip one way to get it.....plenty of it around here if I looked and wanted it lol

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 07:33:01 pm »
justin get a wood billet, like dogwood, and start hitting the quartz. once you get used to it it is a good material. hell it makes stuff like rhyolite seem easy , so when you get to work on the easier material it'll be a cake walk. i love working with quartz because its everywhere up her. when i bust a piece i dont get upset cause there is plenty more to bust up.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:52:12 pm »
might have to get some. I cant put that rhyolite down though