Author Topic: beating brak off with a hammer.....  (Read 1134 times)

Offline woodrow

beating brak off with a hammer.....
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:03:23 pm »
hi all im a newbie.i was told that i could get the bark off of a hickory stave with a hammer by hitting the bark .i though that it would damage the back of a self bow.has anyone ever tryed this.i must say that it will come off this way because i tryed it on the extra length on the stave worked good but what about where u plan to start ur bow.please tell me what u think yea or nay.....

Cacatch

Re: beating brak off with a hammer.....
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:40:58 pm »
I've heard of guys doing it on here, but I personally never have. I'm sure the ones who have will chime in here any time to answer your question. I've always ended up drawknifing most of it off and then scraping off the rest, so I'm kind of interested in seeing what the guys that have done it have to say too.

CP

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:47:33 pm »
It will work with summer cut wood if done right away. It's too late now. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:46:47 pm »
i have done this.  beat the end of a hickory stave until about an inch is loose, take a long screwdriver and put behind the bark and work it down.  the bark should almost pop off.  like jawge said spring or summer cut wood would be best for this.  i have not tried this technique with anything cut later in the year.