Author Topic: hickory bow (not for bom) flight shooting results w/hunting arrows  (Read 11410 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Re: hickory bow (not for bom)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 10:45:24 am »
Very nice!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 11:36:27 am »
Oh that's nice. Excellent tiller! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 12:12:16 pm »
thanks all bow is 1/4 sawn and paint is dollar store stuff . thanks everyone

Offline TBod

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 02:51:02 pm »
Cool design! Pyramid/Molle I guess. Nice!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 04:58:17 pm »
I like ur colors looks good!

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline ken75

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »
thanks tbod and AA

Offline madmax46

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 12:57:28 am »
Yeah, I was thinking camo, too.  Cool.
"Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching, and love like you've never been hurt."    ...Mark Twain

Offline sulphur

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 09:09:34 am »
very cool!  i'm stealing those colors ;D

Offline ken75

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 11:04:09 am »
thanks max , and sulphur

flight shooting results for today . stats are 90 grn string , 460 grn arrows with MA 2 broadheads 5 inch parabolic fletch
average of four shots was 183 yrds.

dont know if this is good or not but i was happy seeing them soar away .

Offline half eye

Re: hickory bow (not for bom) flight shooting results w/hunting arrows
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 11:33:37 am »
Well Ken, had to take my shoes off for this one but I rekun if ya shoot a deer at 20 yards then it's gonna hit with enough power to go another 163 yards.......got to believe that will put the hurts to 'em. 

Seriously, for that weight and fletch that long and high , got to believe thats a fine shootin bow, with plenty of power.
rich

Lombard

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 10:02:27 am »
Fine looking piece of Hickory, you got finished there.

Offline ken75

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 11:47:12 am »
thans lombard,  i was hoping to get some flight educated folks to tell me if they thought this was average or better with broadheads

Offline Little John

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 06:44:17 pm »
I don't know about average flight distance, but sure is a nice looking bow. I have always liked holmies, but now I have to ask what is a mollie? Again, cool lookinb bow.  How is it for hand shock?    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline half eye

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 06:48:28 pm »
Hey Ken,
      Looked up the world records for Primitive self bow broadhead flights. For a 50# Prim Self it's 211 yds/ 1 foot/ 2 inches and that record was set in 2007.....for 50# Primitive Simple Composite it's   227 yds/ 2 feet/ 11 inches......these are for broadhead flights. Dont think your self bow is doin too bad at all, sir.
rich

Offline avcase

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 07:34:32 pm »
For the flight shoots, there is a minimum arrow mass of 500 grains in the primitive divisions.  These records are being set near the Bonneville Salt Flats which is just under a mile above sea level.  I think that the air is about 20% thinner than at sea level, so this makes a difference with high-drag broad head classes.  That doesn't mean the arrows go 20% farther but it does make a difference.  The broadhead event is also different than regular flight classes because a longer draw can be an advantage.  Finally, the records are set with all-natural string materials, but I don't see this as much of a disadvantage anymore as we keep learning more about the potential of natural fiber strings.  In fact, a good properly made linen string will blow away a B50 string for performance.  Finally, there is a little luck that can play a role in the records set.  It is great if you have a light and steady tail wind, but it can be a mess if the winds are constantly shifting and turbulent.

Here are a few primitive class results from the 2010 Broadhead Flight Nationals held this past August:

Unlimited Complex Composite (Horn bow in this case) - 237 yards, 1 ft by Bede Dwyer for a new World Record in this class.
50-lb Complex Composite - 205 yards 2 ft by Jaap Koppledrayer
  Jaap kindly let me shoot his horn bow in this same class in another round and I managed a distance of 204 yards.

Unlimited Simple Composite (2-lam or backed bows) - 220 yards (an old Marc St. Louis Bow) shot by James Sanchez that may have had a draw weight in the upper 50's with the length arrows he shot.

This was the first time I tried the broadhead class and it is a lot of fun.  The arrows are moving relatively slow and it is fun to watch them sail across the sky.  I'd recommend it if you get the chance!  A little work on the arrows and you might find yourself in the record books with a design like you posted here.

-Alan