Author Topic: I need some advise  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I need some advise
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:36:15 pm »
I have a bow that the sinew lifted off(some of you may remember "Elkie"). I repaired it once but when it happened again I removed the sinew and snake skin in a single sheet from each limb. Now there is hide glue(Knox) residue on the bows back that I want to remove. Would it be better to just scrape it off or can I rehydrate it and wipe it off. I'm going to start fresh with new sinew, real hide glue and a new set of skins. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Cacatch

Re: I need some advise
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:20:49 pm »
Wiping it off will probably take forever and a day, although you surely could do it. I would just scrape/sand it off if it were me.

CP
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:29:19 pm by Cacatch »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:13:39 pm »
Maybe a little of both. Scrape lightly then wash it off. I would lay a damp cloth on the bow to moisten it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 03:56:09 pm »
Is that bow yew wood Pat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 04:05:53 pm »
Osage!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 04:41:56 pm »
I'd stand it in the bath and pour hot water over it and scrub it with a stiff brush.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 05:16:38 pm »
Pat
 If its osage I wouldn't fret too much about it. All of the above will work. Go light on the scraping, soak, scrub, dry, finish.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 05:54:34 pm »
Pat, I have had 2 osage bows where the sinew lifted, I sanded the back down with 66 grit and reglued the same sheet back on, still holding. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 06:12:59 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll mess with it a bit and see what works best.
  Steve, I already did one repair plus this bow has another issue I plan to correct. I didn't run the sinew all the way through the handle  but stopped at the fades and the set it took was right at each fade. This time I will run the sinew through the handle to tie it all together.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:41:58 pm »
I just found this one....I am with JW...just soak it in hat water and let the Knox liquify and then just wash it away....and use some real glue this time..... >:D.... ;) ....>:(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:35:41 pm »
I picked up some real hide glue yesterday plus I already had 3 baggies full of stripped deer leg sinews courtacy of Tim Lathum's kids.  ;D  Need to get Elkie healthy and back to Kenneth before next elk season.  ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 12:23:29 am »
Pat,
     When my sinew backing loosened on my bow early this year, I pealed it off and then sanded the back.  My sinew loosened because I didn't degrease enough.  Good luck with it.  If you need more sinew, let me know. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left