Author Topic: Alder for bows?  (Read 4677 times)

Offline snag

Alder for bows?
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:13:17 pm »
I was out trying to rattle in a blacktail buck this morning and where I was there is a lot of 4" alder trees. They are straight with very little lower limbs. I kept thinking about bow material! I know it is fairly hard, but light weight wood. Has anyone made a selfbow out alder? Not interested in a laminated bow.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Cacatch

Re: Alder for bows?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:53:05 pm »
I've never heard of anyone making an alder bow. I wouldnt think it would be very good, but I don't know anything about alder wood. If you say it's hard and light, then it might be doable, and might make you a wide, flat-limbed bow.

CP

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:58:17 pm »
I have seen a polar and an alder bow.  Both were ridiculusly long and extra wide.  They were made due to a bet.  I would not think Alder would be an normal/worthy  wood to pursue, but who knows?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »
Dana Montgomery made one...and it worked for a while...soft wood with not much compressional strength...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline snag

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:50:10 am »
Well I'll cross that one off the list. Thanks.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 12:54:42 pm »
I see from your profile you live in Oregon. An extremely talented bowyer named Gordon on here hails from there as well. He has made them from Vine Maple, Hazel (both of which grow everywhere on the NW coast) as well as cascara(buckthorn) It looks just like alder but the leaves are enlongated and shiny when compared to alder. At this time when most alders have lost all their leaves cascara will still have theirs. Its also the tree whose bark is used for a laxative. Their usually alot of blacklocust around as well. And of course Yew if you can find any.  Eric
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline snag

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 01:03:23 pm »
I know where there is yew. But it takes quiet a long hike to reach it. When I was hunting this weekend I kept seeing all these beautifully straight alders and it just got me thinking.  I am in the process of making a couple of hazelnut bows and have 4 more staves seasoning.  Seems like since I have started this that I zero in on trees around me and wonder if they would make a bow! haha

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 10:04:03 pm »
Most of us do snag... its all part of the sickness ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:17:54 pm »
 Hi Snag, I've got some alder that is cured because of the same thoughts.  I guess I have a mindset similar to John Strunk that there are allot of good bow woodthat people haven't tried.  I'll do some testing on some that are cured out and see what it dose.  I head over the mountain to your area once in a while and always concentrate more on the Vine maple and cascara. Service berry is another that is becoming a favorite. All ofcorase take second seat to yew.

Offline snag

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 01:47:20 pm »
Hi Keenan, I'm going to have to get up in the Cascades for some vine maple hunting. For some reason I just think with sinew backing alder would make a good bow. It is flexible when young. 

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 11:15:03 am »
Most white woods are much stronger in tension than compression. If that is the case for alder you would be better off making the limbs wider and longer than backing it with sinew.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:18:23 am by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:23:55 am »
My thoughts also Gordon....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline snag

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 05:09:57 pm »
Thanks Gordon. How about Oregon Ash? I believe I have identified another tree as Oregon Ash.