Author Topic: Elm Recurve teaser pic  (Read 4008 times)

Offline NTD

Elm Recurve teaser pic
« on: November 14, 2010, 01:17:30 pm »
So I posted a critique shot of this bow awhile back.  I got back to work on it last week.  I cut 3 inches(essentially the recurves) off each tip rebent the tips heat treated it and worked on the tiller.  Here's the full draw shot.  56" long, 41lbs @26 inches.  It'll be a few days before the tung oil and handle wrap is done but I just couldn't wait to share. 

Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

Re: Elm Recurve teaser pic
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 01:20:30 pm »
I also found out why I was getting so much tiller fatigue, on of the limbs has some prop twist and I didn't realize it so it was really messing me up.  So I named the bow Oliver Twist, for two reasons, the prop twist and well it's an orphan bow, Once it's finished it will be looking for a home with a 26" draw ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:56:56 pm »
I love your bows man.  Looks great, as usual!

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:35:45 pm »
Thanks Cam! This is my second stave bow.  It's far from perfect but it's as close as I'm willing to push it.  The really cool thing is that it still kept reflex.  I'm really happy with this one and the great thing is I have another elm stave that I will be able to apply everything I learned from this one too.  I'm starting to fall in love with elm...
Nate Danforth

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 02:46:58 pm »
Hey Nate!  I'll trade you some snakeskins for that bow!   >:D

That's a hot little brush buster you got there.  Whoever ends up with that little hottie is a lucky shooter.  Nice work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 03:03:39 pm »
Very cool little bow Nate. You are a fast learner and you definately put your knowledge into this bow. Someone will be very pleased to have this bow!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 03:13:59 pm »
Oh yeah, she's one pretty bow...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »
Thanks guys!  I think the single most important thing I learned is knowing when to shelf a bow for awhile until your head clears enough to get back to it  ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 03:45:34 pm »
Nice Recurve!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 03:46:17 pm »
BINGO!!!  ;)  It took me years to figure that out but once I did my sticks became bows! You are a quick learner!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 04:19:16 pm »
yeah, whos gettin this one?  lol.  ive got some ocean front property in the dakotas if youd like
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 04:21:31 pm »
I don't have anyone in particular in mind.  I can do a name draw I suppose, like I've seen them do on other forums.
Nate Danforth

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 04:44:05 pm »
Thanks Cam! This is my second stave bow.  It's far from perfect but it's as close as I'm willing to push it.  The really cool thing is that it still kept reflex.  I'm really happy with this one and the great thing is I have another elm stave that I will be able to apply everything I learned from this one too.  I'm starting to fall in love with elm...

I just dropped 2 elms at my dad's farm this weekend, looking forward to working on them when they dry out.  Also got 6 fairly straight chokecherry limbs - I am going to rough out and clamp a couple to a form to hopefully speed up the drying process while also keeping them straight.  I've never made a stave bow but can't wait to give it a try!

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 04:55:44 pm »
I'm sure you'll do them justice Cam, look forward to seeing what you build!
Nate Danforth

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 05:53:04 pm »
Looks great! Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!