Author Topic: Knotty Osage  (Read 9824 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Knotty Osage
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 12:50:21 pm »
Another famous Texan said it best, "The boy ain't right."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline druid

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 02:09:54 pm »
This will be beautiful bow.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »
I hope so, thanks.  I heated that little deflex bump out of the clearer limb a couple days ago and have been letting it rehydrate.  Hopefully tonight I'll get some more tillering done on it.  Of course, tonight's honey-do list has installing the new LED TV we got yesterday.  I expect the priority of that job will exceed the bow work.  TVs have wifi now, who'd a thunk.  With any luck it'll go well and I'll get out to do a little scraping.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 03:32:20 pm »
Wow george that is going to be an amazing bow!!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »
Ok george, you inspired me. I went out to my scrap pile of rejected wood, and came back with a bit of mulberry. Its a billet that was wide enough to split and it has the same S curve you are dealing with. I spliced them and the string doesn't track center either. The only difference is I have no knots, only a few grub holes to deal with... will make a seperate post for it. Thanks for the inspiration!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 09:31:46 pm »
Good luck sleek. 

I don't know if this is gonna work or not.  Here's the top ring on that clear limb (5 knots)...

and I heard a tik when I was pulling it a little on the pulley setup.  I don't think I had but about 30# on it at the time.  I looked the back over closely and couldn't find anything.  The top ring is thicker on the knotty limb...

at just under 1/16th thick.  I feel a lot better about that one holding, even with the knots.  The bow is bending a few inches now, almost to where I'll think about going for a low brace.  Need to even out the bend on the clear limb before I string it.  Bugs me that I can't take pictures of it yet but if I don't hold the handle it flips on me.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 09:40:41 pm »
George where's the rawhide???????That tick is a warning....LOL.Good luck with er buddy.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:38 pm »
That's just your mind playing tricks on you... you can do it ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 11:11:58 pm »
I'm taking it pretty slow on this one.  I tried to get a string on it tonight and it just pulled back flat like the reflexed bows like to do.  That's why I'm going slow, I like to get frustrated at this point, take too much off and come in under weight.  I took a picture of the belly, the grain pattern is very pretty on this one.

It's still making noise when I flex it.  I think I'll go heat some twist out of that knotty limb.  Then tomorrow I'll decide if I'm gonna back it now or try to see if I can tiller it out to full draw.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23:27 am »
Ohh my that is quite fetching! I have 1 with a couple of knots I'm going to use yours for an inspirational peace, unfortunately it don't have any snake :-[
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 10:04:12 am »
    Thats really green I wait a couple months or use a hot box before
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 10:09:17 am »
  Before I started beening limbs. Forget the backing the knoty looks is what will make the bow. If you have to back a bow thats just a cop out takeing the easyway. I'll look better seeing the wood. If it don't make it what have you lost. NOTHING BUT TIME.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 11:06:08 am »
That's going to be a stunning bow if you can pull it off...
Can he do it? Of course he can!
Hope the bow making deities are smiling down on you (leave 'em a saucer of milk to be safe O:) )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 11:29:48 am »
    Thats really green I wait a couple months or use a hot box before

It was green when I started back in 2010.  It's quite seasoned now.  I've been toying with sanding the back and then giving it a coating of superglue to try and fix that thin ring.  I also think that the bow will be much nicer unbacked than backed.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 11:46:05 am »
George, you're giving me some much needed inspiration. I've shied away from a couple staves that I haven't been willing to tackle. Can't wait to see this one finished.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.