Author Topic: Single bevel broadheads.  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Single bevel broadheads.
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:53:04 am »
I know some of you guys use single bevel points. I've been making some up and they are way easier so far but I've reached what I think is a dilemma. After beveling one each edge the point seems way too wide for good penetration. I may be wrong but as I have never used them I am still hesitant too since I don't really know how they will work. Maybe one of you guys that use them could post a picture or drawing so I can see what they are suppossed to look like.
Thanks
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline maddog314

Re: Single bevel broadheads.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:51:34 am »
use rock ;D

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:40:16 pm »
You would say that!!
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Traxx

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:53:23 pm »
Generally,they are made with what is referred to as a Tonto tip.It is a diamond shaped tip,that bevels to a short point.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 10:55:17 pm »
traxx ive got a couple dozen ill get a pic on here tomorrow

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:06:50 pm »
Thanks guys. I looked up the tanto type and saw what I think I needed. It's what I had in mind but wasn't sure. I'll try to get these done tonight and maybe post some pictures tomorrow.
Mark

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 04:10:36 pm »
use rock ;D

I have a chalcedony single bevel point collected from near Presho, SD...would that count?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rattus58

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »
I know some of you guys use single bevel points. I've been making some up and they are way easier so far but I've reached what I think is a dilemma. After beveling one each edge the point seems way too wide for good penetration. I may be wrong but as I have never used them I am still hesitant too since I don't really know how they will work. Maybe one of you guys that use them could post a picture or drawing so I can see what they are supposed to look like.
Thanks
Mark

Besides the obvious point of energy (momentum), penetration is according to Ashby related to friction, arrow dynamics (foc weight and balance), and speed of the impact probably as well. A field point will penetrate all the way through a deer, so part of the equation is going to be momentum, maybe in a bigger way than necessary in the case of field point versus a cut on contact broadhead. As an aside, is a chisel point still a cut on contact broadhead? My personal impression is that it is a "pokey" point... :) that slices from the tip throughout the course of the blade.

With a blade such as you are contemplating, Ashby touts its bone splitting benefits as one of the major components of it's desireability, and in that regard, I'd stick with the chisel point just because.

Just for further clarification, if you have a left blade beveled (looking down the blade from the rear, is it your understanding or knowledge that the blade will rotate to the left or the right upon entry?

Much Aloha... :cool: