Author Topic: If I reduce a bows thickness by exactly 1/2, will it reduce the bows wieght 1/2  (Read 2680 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Just curious. It makes sense that it would doesn't it. ? Someone has had to think "I want this 50# bow design to pull 70#", or " I want this kids bow design to pull about 10# less. So if the above assumption is true, could I figure out what fraction of wood I would need to add of/reduce to get the weight I want from an existing bows design?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:57:24 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Little John

If you reduce the width by half you will lose half the draw weight. If you reduce the thickness by half you wont even have a kids bow.  Removing even small amounts of thickness decreases the draw weight by bunches.     Kenneth
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:34:42 pm by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline jeff halfrack

width=2x strength    thickness=8xstrength    some thing  like  that,   anyone????   JEFFW

Offline NTD

Yep, that's the way I remember it Jeff ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline toomanyknots

Alrighty... kinda get confused sometimes trying to understand stuff. I always thought the 1 to 8 ratio thing was just a ratio of width to thickness, or something. I'm not good at explaining myself really. But thank you! (I get confused too easily, lol)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Take an 8' 2x4 and lay it flat with each end elevated and press on the middle. The 2x4 will bend. Turn it on edge and set it up the same and press in the middle. Bet you can't bend it!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

I think 25% of the thickness will lower the strength by 1/2 or pretty close. Steve

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
  I think 25% of the thickness will lower the strength by 1/2 or pretty close. Steve
whoops. you mean 25% OFF the thickness, 25% of the thickness will give a floppy lath.
To answer the original Q
Stifness of a beam is proportional to the cube of the thickness. which is where this factor of 8 comes from 2x2x2=8
So half the thickness is 1/8 of the stiffness.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Del, I think Badger l means remove 25% not leave that amount..

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Del, I think Badger l means remove 25% not leave that amount..

Jim Davis
Of course I know what he meant...I was merely correcting the english for the benefit of those who don't (who asked the question) and have to rely on the accuracy of the written word.
I realise that sloppy english and spelling is the norm on the internet, but for anything with a technical content correct usage and accuracy is vital.
I daresay this mini tirade is full of typos, but none of them has the potential to ruin a bow.
Sorry if I sound like a pedantic A hole :-[ .
Del
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:43:31 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jesse

Del you crack me up :D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Badger

I tend to struggle with the human language and don't take offense when someone fixes my screw ups LOL. Steve