Author Topic: Chasing a ring  (Read 4549 times)

Offline NTD

Re: Chasing a ring
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »
I tried the scissor route, just didn't work well for me, it's a good thing we have lots of tools to choose from ;)  I really like my mystic scraper...and if someone breaks into my shop while working on a bow I can throw it at them >:D
Nate Danforth

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 08:54:35 pm »
A bow making buddy of mine and I use differing approaches to chasing a ring.  He uses a flat blade spoke shave when he gets close to the ring he wants and he stops when he hits the spring growth ring.  Then he uses a cabinet scraper.  I however, use the drawknife method with the flat edge facing me and beveled edge facing away.  This prevents me from digging too deep.  My draw knife is sharp when I do this but I have done it with a dull one.  My buddy does this because of how he was taught.  I do what I do for the same reason.  But we respect he other and have actually learned a few tricks in the process. 

summary- many ways to chase a ring.  choose the one that works best for you and enjoy.

Offline ohma

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 10:49:29 am »
i like a sharp draw knife, i have used dull but dont get the the results i do with a sharp blade, and it just feels like i am using alot less effort. i think a person starting out should practice with a draw knife plenty before starting on a good piece of wood. ive seen alot of good osage ruined cause of no experience with the tool.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 12:41:39 pm »
I use a sharp draw knife,you can scrape them down and if they are thin rings that ant to bad,no way I will scrape a thick ringed Osage with a scraper. Building bow ant a race to me but that takes way to much time.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 02:01:37 pm »
I really appreciate the input you all have given on this. As a side note, I scored a nice (I hope) 'vintage' drawknife on e-bay this weekend. 6 inch straight and the seller stated it had never been resharpened. Still the factory bevel. Looking forward to getting it and trying it out.
As another note, it seems to me that it depends allot on the wood being used. Having worked with hickory and elm, I can see the need for sharp tools, I was just curious about the dull option because of the mention in TBB.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.