Author Topic: Experamental Wood Combo (Up Dated)  (Read 2573 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Experamental Wood Combo (Up Dated)
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »
 Well I wanted to try something with a combination of woods Hickory, IPE and Boo.  It was just an idea until I talked with half eye. Thanks for the encouragement Rich. The belly wood is Hickory. The middle is IPE and the back is Boo. I glued in some reflex 58" ntn. 1" at the handle tapering to 3/8 at the tips. It's pulling 38# at 26" I still have to do the finish sanding, but I wanted to wait for any corrections or comments y'all might have for me.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:09:13 am by hillbilly61 »
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Experamental Wood Combo
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:06 pm »
 That came out real nice. I think I would have put the hickory in the middle and the Ipe as the belly. JMO.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:08:03 pm »
Really like the full draw profile, sir.  Wonering though about how high do you have it braced? Dont matter cause it looks good bud. How does it shoot?
rich

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 04:19:43 am »
Lookin' good, I'd take the two white discs off the upper limb tho'  ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:25:42 am »
Good loking bow,
 You gotta watch that Rich fellow though, he'll have ya building all kinds of stuff ;D
Nice job,
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:18 am »
  Thanks for the kind words.

mullet..I thought about that and half eye said that too when we talked. But these were some scraps and didn't want to ruin some good stuff :-\ Now that I know, I might try it ;)

half eye...That string is about 3/4" to high. Going to try and make a string for it after work tonight. Not shot yet. want to wait for the string, but it is smooth draw all the way through.

Del...They just appeared all of a sudden :o I think they might come out on the final sanding ;D

n2...yea. He's got that way to him. j/k Rich ;)  Rich inspired me to do the holme. (now my hunting bow) Even though it is a mod. version, I'm going to try a full blown as soon as I can get a good piece of wood for it.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:42:57 pm »
Looks good.  Where did you go last Sat?  Did you get a chance to talk to Noel?  Bill

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:53:42 pm »
  Thanks Bill. Yes I got to talk to Noel for about 10 mins. We talked about cane arrows, quarts points and bows. He also was showing some kids how to make blow guns. That was cool. I told him the next time he's around here I'll have a black locust stave for him. I wish I had seen ya again. Their is always the next time. Hope it's soon.

Offline jwillis

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:16:53 am »
It looks awesome. I hope you enjoy shooting it. I'll bet you're ready to start on the next one? I agree with mullet, I would have put the ipe on the outside belly. Jim

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: Experamental Wood Combo (Up Dated)
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 09:23:26 am »
 Made a string for it yesterday and took it out to shoot. Got 3 arrows through it and heard a POP. Didn't see anything change or find any imperfections. So I figured it was the arrow that slapped the bow. Shot 2 more and heard it again, and when I looked the brace had gone to an ugly, ugly shape. About 1/2 way up the limb it had split straight across. Looked like a perfect cut. I'll ad a couple of pictures this afternoon when I can get my daughter to take them with her new camera.

Offline Jesse

Re: Experamental Wood Combo (Up Dated)
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 12:43:52 pm »
oooh that stinks. sorry to hear it. Yeah when you hear a little crack it usually is not good. I had that happen once and inspected the bow and found it. It was hard to find though. I had to flex it a bit to see the crack. Was it on the upper limb between the 2 white discs in the picture?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark