Author Topic: punch notching  (Read 2390 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
punch notching
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:12:27 pm »
Can anyone give me some info on punch notching? I am having a bad problem with my notches stalling. I thought I might try doing some punching.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: punch notching
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:32:39 pm »
Nugget, I punched the notches on(my onondaga attempt). I took a 16d nail an beat one end flat like a screw driver, then filed a square notch on end an used this. I have only done a couple points so all I can tellyou is to experiment a little . Of course the thinner the base the easier to notch :D Good luck Bob

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 11:35:23 pm »
Just like Bob said, if you can get your hands on some copper nails or better yet, some copper bus bars and cut them into strips.  Practice on flakes first, you can break a suprisingly thick point pretty easy.  You also need a firm surface or the punch will go through too deep and break your notch.  Bill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:33:42 am »
when i punch notch i have a piece off wood i put on my lap the wood has to thick pieces of leather glued to it.
I also have a Osage paddle for hitting the punch. My punch is one of those plastic pressure flack handles with the alen screw. i put a horse shoe nail in it when i am punch notching small points and i put reg nail when i am punch nothing big stuff.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:28:54 pm »
TJ: I use a peice of copper wire hammered down flat on one end with squared edges and knock the flake off into a notched peice of hard rubber. Have been meaning to try that method that leapingbare mentioned but have been lazy as of yet:). You start your notches with pressure however deep ya want then punch em on in there. You'll either get them as deep as you want, you'll break the thing, or they'll stall on ya. Here's one I was messing with yesterday that stalled (I didn't get that base thin enough) and here an andice I did awhile back that turned out OK. Oh, I use my copper bopper to whack the punch but I'm sure just about anything would work..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:25:48 pm »
Super cool cowboy. Thanks for all the info guys. Will try some this weekend.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline maddog314

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 05:27:10 pm »
WOW Cowboy, Do you have a video on how you do that?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 05:35:50 pm »
Paul , really nice andice an really like all your c flakes, everyone seems to be the same size deffinitly says something about you control. Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 09:26:20 am »
No vids maddog, you can find utubes on the subject though. I got lucky on the few i've done Bob, haven't done that much punch notching.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 09:59:52 am »
Do a search on you-tube for "notching the Calf Creek"  It'll help a lot ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline maddog314

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 10:53:28 am »
Thanks, Can you do this on obsidian or glass?

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 11:22:52 pm »
sure can.
Mililani Hawaii