Author Topic: tree too big?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
tree too big?
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:56:40 pm »
We cut down a 12" hickory tree (pignut) that was shading the chicken coop. Long story, but I only got one good section, I'll only get one good stave out of it.  (Too many knots in the others, I'm a complete novice, dont think I can deal with knots.)

Anyway, I have another hickory that started to die off 2 summers ago, theres only one branch with a few green leaves this year. (I believe its dying due to the salt lick the boys put under it, not insects or anything.)  Its about 24-30" in diameter.  So... is that too big to harvest staves from, ie am I in for more work than its worth?  I know it'll give me good meat smoking chunks and good firewood, but it'd be nice to put a dozen staves in the shed too, as I suspect the one good one I have wont be enough - I'll either screw it up or have to make more.
I should know better.

Offline John K

Re: tree too big?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:07:57 pm »
You should be able to get some nice flat backs out of one that big. As far as bug damage goes, you won't know until you cut and split it.

Good luck !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Aosda

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:20:34 pm »
What John said, also, bear in mind that Hickory is good for axe, spall, and hawk handles.  Also some nice walking sticks and knifle scales.  Even the smallest piece of good wood is useable somewhere, and people on this site are into more than just bows.  You might get some trading material along with your staves and firewood.  JMO.

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:45 pm »
a little bug damage, a fair amount of twisting, and a 17 year old with a chain saw who works so fast I lost any opportunity I had... it ended up as firewood.  I will tell you though, it was a beast to split. (I use a maul).
I should know better.