Author Topic: Identification Help - UPDATED (more pics)  (Read 3388 times)

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
Identification Help - UPDATED (more pics)
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:25:52 am »
I collected a bunch of Red Osier the other day, along with a couple hardwood shoots that I have used before with good results but have yet to identify, and one that I think may be some kind of rose, but I'm not sure.  We have wild rose (alberta rose) here, but it isn't any good for arrows.  I have cut several over the years, but they are always soft and thin-walled, with very large pithy centers.  This one was denser, had fewer and larger thorns, and a much smaller pith.  It looks like it will make an excellent arrow shaft.  Any ideas what this might be?  If anyone knows the name of the other shoots in the picture, I could use some help identifying them as well.  They don't grow in clusters, like Osier, but are actually small saplings that grow separately.

Thanks  :)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:17:26 pm by NorthernArcher »
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline Tom Leemans

Re: Identification Help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:22:51 pm »
Mutiflora rose?

Offline Deo

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:04:58 pm »
The one on the right is for sure wild rose, Wild rose can vary in pith depending on age and where it grows but makes a great dense and heavy arrow. Do not remove bark at least for a month or two, I usually wait for about 3 months before I remove the bark. I will however use something to flatten the thorns. The other two look like they may be service berry aka june berry. I need to see the leaves and possible the bush in order to see what it is. June berry makes good hard arrows, even small diameter shafts have heavy spines. Nice work, I would like to see them when they are done.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:55:12 pm »
The shoot on the right might be rosa rugosa. Did it have large red rose hips(fruit)?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:21:33 pm »
I don't recall what the rest of the shrub looked like, but I'll be sure to check next time I'm down there.  The two on the left didn't come from a shrub, but were small saplings.  They grow quite a bit larger than that, and there are lots of them in the river valley.  I may have to wait till next spring/summer to get some good pictures of the foliage to share.  I have a set of arrows that I made from this stuff a few years ago, and they are quite a bit heavier than my osier shafts.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this rose shaft turns out.

Deo - thanks for the advice on the bark.  I usually remove the bark on Osier within a few days of collecting them, without any problems.  Same with the other shoots I collected.  But I have no experience with rose of any kind, so I appreciate the advice.  I'll proceed carefully with this one.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:52:40 am »
The shoots could be Viburnum. Are the buds and twigs opposite each other or alternate?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 01:17:01 pm »
I got some more pictures of the rose that I collected the other day.  Based on these pictures, and the descriptions in my field guide, I believe Deo was right.  I believe this is Common Wild Rose (Rosa Woodsii).  Very similar to Prickly Rose (Rosa Acicularis), which is Alberta's official floral emblem.  The prickly rose, which is likely what I was cutting before, has more thorns, and a much larger pith.  This stuff has fewer/larger thorns, and appears to be much tougher.  I'm looking forward to making an arrow out of this :)

This one is a little blurry, but the best I could do with a close-up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Identification Help - UPDATED (more pics)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 06:13:00 pm »
Those rose hips are full of vitiman C. Make great tea or jellies.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 12:19:59 am »
Really?  How would I go about making a tea out of them?  Do they need to be harvested and dried?  Or can they be used fresh?  How strong of a tea would they produce?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 12:40:44 am »
They are quite tart. I guess you could use them dry or green. I haven't done it for years so I don't really remember. Google "rosehip tea" and see what you come up with.

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 10:35:12 pm »
im more interested in the tea!  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 06:42:04 pm »
Wait until after the first frost before you get the rose hips.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline NorthernArcher

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 09:55:45 pm »
We've had a few frosts already, and one snowfall.  I'll gather some rose hops next time I'm in the woods, and give the tea a try.

Thanks everyone :)