Author Topic: Better Than Nothing  (Read 2194 times)

Lombard

Better Than Nothing
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:17:58 pm »
Went out before dawn, with my trusty Osage hunting bow, and two oak arrows with stone points.  I had been dreaming of doing this all week long, while away in South Carolina. When I got back home to Alabama last night, I had doubts. Worried the fatigue that had borne down on me would prevent an early rise. Thankfully our little Labrador saw fit to wake me with her full bladder at 4AM.

A push of the button, and my morning coffee started to brew, filling the house with that intoxicating aroma that I have come to depend on so much. Addictions come in many forms, and coffee happens to be mine. With that task started, and a quick jump into my cloths that were laid out on the chair, I only had to let the dog in, and grab a couple granola bars. Just in case an appetite arose while out in the blind.

We had a frost this morning, so the need for some warmer clothing was warranted. Most times, this time of year in my part of Alabama, a long sleeve shirt is all that is needed to start the morning. As fate would have it, I dressed entirely appropriate for the conditions, as I sat in the natural blind in total comfort. So much in fact that I fell sound asleep in short order. To be sure the deer were not oblivious to my snores. I awoke a little after 8Am disappointed with myself. Realizing that deer had come and gone from the clearing, I just sat back listening to the morning sounds, and watched the antics of a couple crows. Taking in the sights, sounds, and smells relaxed me to the point of nearly falling asleep again.

Catching myself from another head nod, I took notice of one of the smaller Pecans I've been eyeballing for culling. With decisions made, my destination was to get back to the house for some more coffee, and the chain saw. That and a couple fried eggs with toast. That task given due haste, me and our little Lab ventured back into the forest, seeking a different prize.

Tree felled, and logs rendered, it was time to lug these little gems back to the yard. Can't help but notice as I get older that these little chores seem to take more effort than they did at twenty something, or thirty something. Fifty something is looming closer than I care to admit these days, but time marches on, and carries us to our destinies along with it. It was only fifteen hundred feet or so out back to the culling, just seemed further carrying logs through the under brush. The trips to retrieve the remaining fire wood will have to wait until this afternoon. My wife has John Wayne playing on the television, and for some reason, I feel a nap coming on.  :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Better Than Nothing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:02:48 pm »
 Nice logs, what kind of Lab is that? ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Postman

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 06:25:09 pm »
Well written stuff Lombard -  Hope ya have good luck with the staves and the deer!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 08:34:13 pm »
Eddie, that is a Yellow Lab. I traded a bow for her with a man in Cold Springs, which is right up there close to where Chris lives in Abbeville, SC. She came with papers, but we could care less about breeding her, so have never sent the paperwork in.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:11:55 pm »
 I realized after I posted the bright sunlight bleached the color out. On my monitor it looks like she is white and tan. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 02:59:48 pm »
John Wayne, of course, saved the day in the make believe world of classic movies. We went down back to lug the rest of the logs for firewood through the underbrush. Luckily they got smaller to the point, that carrying two was easy work. That chore done, and the next thing on the list was to get those Pecan staves naked. My Ox Head draw knife made short work of it. Nice German steel, that holds an edge a good long while. Left most of the cambium, as my only concern was to get the flaky stuff off, and get them sealed up. I've wasted some wood not doing that, as nasty little critters that lay eggs in the bark  hatched out and made worm trails through good wood. Now up to the drying rack, where in a year or so, they can be reduced down to bow blanks, and eventually nice little hunting bows.

A better photo of the Dog seemed warranted also. That photo is from eight months ago. She is much bigger now.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 03:34:47 pm »
Good story.
50 something is not to far away for me either anymore.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 11:37:45 pm »
If those were the trees you "cull", I cannot imagine the good stuff!!!  Pity I can't make much use of all the Ponderosa Pine around here.  But this is kinda like a bow wood desert.  *sigh*

Nice harvest.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:45:41 pm »
 I turn 52 in Dec. For the last 3 months I have been walking up birds and hunting on foot and doing nature walks. I have lost 15 lbs and am still having grits and eggs and meat for breakfast. Last sunday (Last day of elk season) , My buddy and I shadowed two herds of elk for a couple of hours each (Spikes only ) and did'nt die on the mountain (He's younger than me )  My point here is,keep the weight down and get out there and walk. My overall health is way better,i have much more energy during the day (but ; I have a heck of a time staying awake past 9:00 PM).   I get up to make coffee around 5:00 AM everyday. Wife is starting to talk about me getting a job pretty
soon,so I will have my work cut out for me to keep the weight off (unless I get lucky and get something working outside). I want to still be doing my outdoors 20 yrs. from
now. That's my incentive. It's worth it. Get lean and stay walking , My mantra.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington