Author Topic: Heat treating grease.  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Heat treating grease.
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:04:49 pm »
Now I'm a convert to heat treating (hallelujah!), does grease help get a more even and better colour finish?
I've nearly finished a nice Hazel bow, the heat treating during tillering has lfet a mucky grey finish which isn't very attractive (as the Hazel has very liitle grain to speak of).
Will grease before the final heat treatment help give better colour and finish?...If so, has anyone used chicken fat (There's on in the oven right now, so I'll have some hot fat!)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat treating grease.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:11:15 pm »
I use grease(olive oil) when I heat bend wood because it prevents scorching and I think it allows the heat to penetrate better and more evenly plus it holds the heat longer. I think any fat, animal or vegatable will work to prevent scorching.
  When I want to heat treat(temper) the belly wood I don't use oil. I want the wood to scorch and become brittle. I'll give the bow plenty of time to rehydrate after tempering as a safety factor.
  On a bow I built early this year for a TradGang trade I had to heat the stave so many times I think it tempered it even using oil on it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Heat treating grease.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »
Cheers, I'll do this one without grease then, and experiment with grease on one I want to bend.
I can't wait to get this one done and posted, I think it's going to be a good 'un but fingers crossed, there's many a slip twixt cup and lip.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.