Author Topic: Combed Flax  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Combed Flax
« on: November 04, 2010, 09:42:16 am »
I recently acquired some osage that chasing the rings on will be like doing micro surgery. From what I've  read some feel that combed linen or flax backing is better than sinew on certain designed bows. The stuff looks interesting and the price is right. Has anybody tried it and if so how did you apply it?

http://www.pardisefibers.net/Flax-Top-Natural-Brown-Linen-Fiber_p/99902.htm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:45:16 am by Pat B »
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Combed Flax
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:50:11 am »
I disabled the link you added because they are not advertisers on PA. Folks can contact you for that info.
  Last year(or the year before) at the Tennessee Classic I saw 2 different guys backing bows with raw flax fibers. It does make a good strong backing but it can overpower the belly because it has very little stretch. Trying to compare flax with sinew is like comparing apples to oranges. Sinew adds performance to a bow and flax adds protection like silk, linen brown bag paper or rawhide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:06:29 am »
I would dispute that. Flax is essentially the same material as wood or bamboo so comparing it so a softer material like rawhide or silk is pointless. There shouldn't be any reason why flax couldn't be used to perry reflex a bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:09 am »
I'm not saying that it will not make a good backing but I am saying that flax, like boo can over power belly wood because it does not stretch. It will make a very good backing but should be used with caution. And boo and rawhide are in no way similar as a backing except both can be used as a backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:30:51 am »
I made no mention of  boo being similar to rawhide. Flax does have the capability of also increasing performance rather than just being inert.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:43:29 am »
Pat B, sorry about the first link, I wasn't thinking. It just showed a nice picture of the stuff. This link from TBB 4 however would seem to support Pat M's position.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dQT9krc53isC&pg=PA135&lpg=PA135&dq=combed+flax&source=bl&ots=zf2aCH6gE5&sig=oAo8CATe
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:47:12 am by Steve Milbocker »
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!