Author Topic: New to this forum  (Read 3117 times)

roadglider

New to this forum
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »
Thanks for having this great forum for discussing primitive archery. One question I've been wanting to ask is: is it possible to make an ambidexterous bow that can shoot both left and right handed? I live in Western PA and was hoping there may be some bowyers in the area?

Offline Ifrit617

Re: New to this forum
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 04:34:53 pm »
This is very possible. Many primitive bows can be shot off either side.

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 05:05:35 pm »
I always shoot off the knuckle no arrow rest as far as I know that is all that would make it right or left handed.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline kerryb

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:11:16 pm »
Very possible, If i remember correctly PatB made a bow called Flip that could be shot right or left handed.
Milan Mo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
I've made many ambidexterous bows. If the string lines up down the center of the bow you can shoot it off of either side. I DO NOT add a shelf though. I use a bulbous type handle with a floppy rest.
  Kerry, Flip(actually "Flip Flop") wasn't necessarily ambidexterous but I set it up so either limb could be the top limb. It was actually made for a lefty and I can only shoot right handed so it was ambidexterous anyway.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

roadglider

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 11:10:05 am »
Thanks for all your responses. So where to start? Mainly I just want to shoot as a hobby, not hunting anymore. Would love to get involved and take bow making classes. I see there are many DVD's available and will start there but realistically how long will it take me to be proficient enough to make a good enough bow? Wouldn't mind having one made for me. Right now I have a Blackhawk "Short Hornet" 55lb. recurve, no arrows, and the string needs replaced. The Bow & string is probably 40 yrs. old. It appears to be in good shape but I don't have a trained eye for that. Hoping to find someone in my vicinity to help.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 11:49:42 am »
Hey Roadglider, what part of Western PA? I'm originally from Greensburg, PA.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

roadglider

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:55:28 am »
Stingray - Irwin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:17:53 pm »
Ryano lives in western or north western PA I think and I believe he does bow building classes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

roadglider

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 01:32:10 pm »
Thanks Pat, can I PM Rynao?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 02:29:47 pm »
Yes you can!

roadglider

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 02:34:04 pm »
thanks again Pat, but can't seem to find his profile, still learning the site.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 02:59:13 pm »
At the bottom of the home page there is a "members" section. Click on that and look up "Ryano". If is in alphabetical order or you can do a search in the same place.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 03:44:13 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a carnival barker for Primitive Archer, you can click on the above header where it discusses The Traditional Bowyers Bible, and order a copy of the first volume and then add volumes as you progress.  TBB vol. 1 is still my go-to for the basics.  The chapter on bow design is still over my head, but I'm able to understand more of it with every bow I make. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline elkcalln8

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 10:41:25 pm »
I am also new here. I love the old ways and always wanted to get into it. I have shoot for over 12 years now. But just got bit by the longbow bug a few months ago. I want to build my own to start with. Im new to that. so i am thinking of starting with a longbow blank. I wana do some silver inlays and try to get some copperhead on it to. I wana thank all of you for the great input and great site. What is one of the best books on building a long bow?