Author Topic: Where do you buy fiberglass for bows? Something I could use on the belly?  (Read 9723 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Can't find nothing but like backings from 3 rivers...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Where do you buy fiberglass for bows? Something I could use on the belly?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:07:02 pm »
Since we don 't do fiberglass here I move this,someone may chime in.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:13:51 pm »
Oh, alright. My bad. :) Do YOU do fiberglass? :) I found this site, don't know if any would work for a belly lam, so to protect my belly from chrysaling if sinewed into reflex: binghamprojects.com/products.php?cat=9
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:00:21 pm by Justin Snyder »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 02:38:33 pm »
I've done several fiberglass bows and used Bingham's glass on every one of them.  Once I began to make self bows I stopped making glass bows because all-wood is more fun and has very few of the annoying traits that glass has for the woodworker.  Those would be glass slivers, epoxy allergies, glass' propensity for dulling tools, the need to run a bow oven, respirators when sanding, etc.  If you like working with wood you will find glass frustrating.  Working on a glass bow is more like machining than woodworking.  Having said all that, glass would probably strengthen your bow's belly.  If I were going to do that I'd put the glass on the bow back as well and glue the whole mess up at once.  Sinew is a bit of work, I would never do that and have glass on the same bow...but to each his own.  You'd be wise to order more glass than you think you need.  I never nailed the draw weight on the first attempt with a new design.  You'll likely do the job at least twice to get what you want. 

I do have to ask the question - since we're on a primitive bow forum; if you need to strengthen a bow's belly for your primitive bow application, why would you not do one of the 2 solutions that are primitive?  1 - choose a limb wood that is better in compression, ie osage or ipe?  2 - do the primitive belly strengthening approach...horn?  I have a 2"x3"x40" squared board of relatively green osage I'll send you for the cost of the shipping if you'd like to use a better bow wood in your application.  You'll need a good table saw and/or band saw (and some persistence) to rip boards like you want.  My band saw absolutely refuses to rip straight osage boards.  I cannot help you with horn.

Good luck,

George

St Paul, TX

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 04:31:14 pm »
Ruder bows (advertiser here i beleive) sells fiberglass and kits for bows
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:45:43 pm »
fiberglass is stronger in compression than in tension. I wouldnt use it for just the belly.  I had luck using a thin piece of ipe on the belly
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:39:01 pm »
Any glass strips you see work for both. I use the stuff from 3 Rivers. Binghams and many other places sell strips for similiar prices: it's all Bo Tuff I believe. All works :)