Author Topic: Ready to rock!  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Ready to rock!
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:54:20 am »
I was up till 2AM last night (might have had something to do with the 3 cups of Tim Hortons I had around supper time) trying to turn my garage into a useable workspace - installing better lighting, rearranging the mess, and making a tiller tree.  I think I'm pretty much ready to let the shavings fly and turn some boards into killing machines.  Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:00:21 pm by Cameroo »

Offline cracker

Re: Ready to rock!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:30:44 pm »
Good luck brother I hope it all come out well for you.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:29:23 pm »
good luck and start making shavings ;)

compared to me you did this backwards
i started making bows then decided i needed a work space(or 2)
i have my garage(unheated) and a room in the basement
i needed the room in the basement ,with an unheated garage in minnesota i would have been limited to 6 months or less
for making bows and such
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 12:59:37 am »
good luck
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:39:28 am »
Thanks guys.  Sailordad - I'm even farther north, and my garage isn't heated either.  Well, that's not entirely true, there's a gas heater in there, but in the 3 years I've been living here, I haven't worked up the courage to try firing it up yet.  It looks very... "primitive", and according to the tag on it, the last time it was inspected was in '74.  I think I'd rather work in the cold than blow the roof off of the garage.  I'm hoping to use a spare room in the basement at some point too, but at the moment it's one big construction zone due to some seepage and heavy rain we had this summer. 

If anyone is interested, here's a picture of the tiller tree that I slapped together, and a maple selfbow (only my 2nd bow) that's in the works.  The whole tiller tree only cost about $35 to make.  The scale (110 lb) was $10 on eBay, and the pully on the bottom was the most expensive part at about $17. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Christophero

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:25:24 am »
Good for you.  I've been working in my unheated garage the last 4 winters, as well.  This summer I spent weeks cleaning out and reorganizing so we can fit two cars in there and still have a bay for a wood shop.  It sure feels good to have the space and the extra electic outlets I installed.  Wish I would have finished the wood stove hook up, though. :D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:24:58 pm »
My electric dryer vents into the garage, so I work on bows AFTER laundry in the winter.  Funny how I always have more clean clothes in the winter than the summer. 

Sounds like you got da bug pretty bad, Cameroo
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:49:29 pm »
Ha ha, ya, I got it bad...  Just ask my girlfriend.  She hasn't said anything to me yet, but I can tell she's feeling a bit neglected  :P She knows I've got a touch of OCD though, and the way she sees it, I could be doing a lot worse things with my spare time.  She's probably thinking it's just some kinda "phase" that I'll go through :)  But I've always enjoyed working with my hands and creating things, and this seems to be the perfect outlet for that.

And this brotherhood you guys got going on here is really good for help and inspiration.  I love it!