Author Topic: Anasazi Cable Backed Bow  (Read 16816 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Anasazi Cable Backed Bow
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:50:25 am »
I love a challenge.  If I see a bow that appears to be a challenge to create and I immediately gravitate toward it.  Such was the case with the Anasazi cable backed bow.  I saw a sketch in Hamm and Alley's book Encyclopedia of Native American Bows Arrows and Quivers: Vol II.  That single entry was enough to hook my interest.  So I found a roughly one inch diameter hickory sapling to work with because I did not know what the Anasazi used for wood and likely it was not available in the Missouri Ozarks.  The historic inspiration had cables, string and wraps made of sinew.  Before I invested that mush effort into creation I wanted to get a "dress rehearsal" out of the way first.  So I made the string out of linen color Diacron B-50 because it does not stretch.  I then crafted a artificial sinew string more than long enough to double over the bow's back.  I wanted it to look right to me and art' sinew was the way in my mind.  From here I began cleaning the dried sapling of its bark and began shaping the taper to each limb.  I had a roughly round cross section the whole way and found immediately that hickory made to the approximate  dimensions of that original bow would never bend.  A flat belly appealed to me more than reduced diameter, and floor tiller followed.  Once strung this bear of a bow was stout but bent evenly.  I hit 55 pounds at 24 inches and called it good.  I wrapped five inches of the tips with artificial sinew wrap.  My artificial sinew cable had a loop made on one end and I placed it over one tip and ran it along the back.  I wrapped it over the other end twisting it to keep it snug.  Then the cable snaked its way over the back again to the looped end and was tied off.  I made eight, half inch wide wraps on each limb to keep the cable placed on the back.  Each wrap did not have a knot, rather I used the same technique used to tie off serving on a bow string.  A spot of superglue would hold the wrap in place.  I was so enamored with this process that It took a while to realize I was done tillering the bow.  With 16 total wraps I could no longer scrape without damaging the bow. Fortunately, the tiller was not affected by the cable this go around.  Final stats,  44 inches long NTN,  1 inch wide and 5/8 inch thick at the handle, mid limb is 7/8 wide and 5/8 thick.  The bow took about 2" of set when unstrung.  By the time it was shot in and had the cable applied the pull remained 55 pounds at 14 inches.  I was very satisfied with how well it spit our arrows.  Originally this was an experiment, but now I think it needs to go afield with me!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline half eye

Re: Anasazi Cable Backed Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:05:21 pm »
Very nice, swamp. Nice bend on that little bugger.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:33:24 pm »
 I like it, that's cool.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 02:03:25 pm »
oops, final poundage was 55# at 24 " not 14".  I will do some research on Anasazi arrows and quiver to make a set some day. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:28:46 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 02:55:28 pm »
That's a great looking braced profile picture.  So, the cable has a loop on one end and is knotted on the other.  You don't have knocks cut in right?  Just wondering how the cable holds tight - just by pulling tight on the bow?  And the string - did you do artificial sinew knocks?

Cool little bow.  Very interesting.
1’—>1’

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 03:30:22 pm »
No nocks cut in this bow.  The taper increased a tad more as I reached the nock area, then I made the string loops very small so they could not slip down much, then I took advantage of the sinew banding and cable to effectively become "sinew nocks"  The cable backing stays looped on the nocks with the same principle but with aid of the bands to keep it in place left and right.

Offline upthecreek

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 06:20:35 pm »
Swamp I notice your patch. Is that MDC? If so thanks for the good work.
Mike

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 06:25:47 pm »
eagle eyes.  Yes MDC pays the bills but this bow was done 100 % on personal time.  Someone took the image at our annual bow making workshop.  Once a year I co-teach a bow making workshop as part of my duties.  That is about all the bow making I do on company time. 

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 07:48:11 pm »
Swamp Monkey, nice little bow--I think a lot of us out here in PA land would like to try a cable-backed bow. Thanks for the inspiration!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 07:09:15 pm »
I found one other post on an Anasazi cable bow.  Have others had experience with this?  I would love to know what the Anasazi used for their bow wood.  Taking a Merriam's wild turkey with one would be a hoot since they reportedly domesticated that subspecies of the wild turkey before they went back into the wild. 

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 09:26:09 pm »
very nice!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 11:51:13 am »
Great cable bow!  Got it bookmarked for Nov Self BOM contest too.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Little John

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 08:11:48 pm »
That is intresting, I live in anasazie country andnever knew about a cable backed Anasazie Bow. Actually the Mesa Verde musem only has one or two bows on display.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 05:42:44 pm »
Little John,  Any idea what those museum bows were made of?  My next version will not be of hickory if I can learn the original wood of choice. 

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 05:49:32 pm »
Nicely done.