Author Topic: Something old something new  (Read 1893 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Something old something new
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:11:55 pm »
Hi guys wanted to share some stuff been working on and with hunting season here I have been busy.  Also been working hard on getting an AtlAtl club/class started as well. I have been making many arrows using traditional methods and recently with the purchase of a fletching jig I decided to give some precut feathers a go.  WOW how easy it is but I still like hand cutting everything.  Its good to know if u were ever in a survival mode.  I also had made a good trade recently with someone on here and I tried out for the first time a shield cut feather chopper.  It works good it surely takes practice to get things right.  Thanks guys for looking!

russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline aero86

Re: Something old something new
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:04:27 am »
looks good!  what kind of chopper did you get?  mine is tiny, but has a part on tip that is wooden, that i tap once or twice with a hammer and it cuts perfectly. 

ive tried a fletching jig, but it puts the fletchings too far forward for my taste, so i just hand attach all mine now.  its rather labor intensive, but after dozen's of arrows, ive got a system down that works pretty good.  even went with fletch tape for a while, but no more..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:53:15 am »
Thanks for the comments! The jig is kinda neet as u can use multiple fletching styles and u can adjust the distance from the knocks.  This is my first time and as far as the chopper same thing it cuts 5" shield cut I use a rubber mallet tap once and boom.  Once in awhile it cuts crooked but practice makes perfect.  Thanks!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:19:29 am »
Those look great, Russ.  Glad that chopper is working out for you.

I saw a little tutorial somewhere a little while back on making a feather holder to get a cleaner cut.  Basically you use a thiin piece of tin or something glued to a popsicle stick to hold the feather down while you chop.  Keeps it from moving around.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:28:31 am »
yeah, my fletcher was an easy fletcher.. thats why! but, with my chopper, i got it down where i used my pinky and index finger to hold the feather down, while i brought the top of the chopper done.  THAT took lots of practice lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 11:46:20 am »
Yeah thanks Johnathan hey hows the flint knapping working out???  I found that using the feather chopper to have things lined up exact or when u chop sometimes it dont cut clean or if u bang it with a hammer it will move and have a messed up cut!  Thanks for the responses!

Russ

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 01:56:46 pm »
Those look good Russ, what are you using for shafting materials?
1’—>1’

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:17:56 pm »
I use 200 year old cedar boards from those big white pillars from them old buildings... also I use mountain ash its
light flexable and makes some hard hitting arrows... thanx Parnell