Author Topic: R/D on a pyramid style bow?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Stingray45

R/D on a pyramid style bow?
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:57:46 pm »
Hey everyone, just had a quick question. I just finished up a pyramid style maple bow that is coming in at about 54#@28" before I did final sanding. I was thinking of putting some reflex in the limbs, has anyone done this before on that type of bow? If so how did it work out? And can you post some pictures of the results? Thanks.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: R/D on a pyramid style bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:21:09 pm »
How are you going to put in the reflex ? I once heated some in on an ash pyramid selfbow and it turned out real well, sorry no pics of it on this computer. It was unbacked and took to the heat gun pretty good. I just did a boo/ipe with it glued in, 56lb @ 28. feels like 50 though.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:48:52 pm »
Here is 4est trackers outstanding pyramid buildalong, in which he uses an overlay method to add slight reflex to his limbs,

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002064;p=1
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 02:52:06 pm »
I was planning to use a heat gun and recuve the ends of the limbs with a form. I just took a 2x8 or 2x10 board about 15" long and drew a circle with a bucket on the edge. Then I cut off the sharp edges to get the rounded part I would bend/heat/clamp the limbs in to put in the reflex.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?