Author Topic: Full Tapered Shafts  (Read 1504 times)

Offline TheWildCat

Full Tapered Shafts
« on: October 29, 2010, 05:30:42 pm »
Dose anyone know of a maunfacturer of Full Tapered shafts? I find plenty of the Barrel tapered and tapered shafts, but can't find any Full Tapered ones.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Full Tapered Shafts
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:39:18 pm »
Have you tried Alleghaney Arrow Works?  You can taper them yourself. I have a set of ash arrows that are full taper. My friend Dick Bernier tapered them for me on a jig he made from angle irons mounted to a board and sandpaper. Set the angle irons with the taper you want, glue on the sand paper and run the shafts through it with a drill motor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:22:44 pm »
Thanks fer the reply...I have not tried Allegany, but will check em out. I may have to learn to taper rm myself. Would rather have em done professionally though. I am sold on full taper after shootin river cane. But I am havin a hard time gettin a matched set spine and weight.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 11:42:58 pm »
I shoot mostly hill cane or sourwood shoot arrows. Both are naturally tapered and both make excellent arrows. The natural taper plus the extra length I use(29" for 26" draw) allows me to shoot these arrows in bows from 45# to 60#. They are all heavy(600gr to 700+gr) but fly very well from my bows. I use a spine tester to find the stiff side of the shaft but don't try to match spine weight. Some of my arrows have almost 100gr difference but at 15 yards or less I don't see much difference. I don't try to shoot groups but try to place each arrow, one at a time, in the kill zone while target shooting.
  The people that bought Rouge River Archery in Oregon may still make their tapered cedar shafts. You might try a google search for them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC